TN: Two Italian Favoritas & a Timorasso....(short/boring)

Tried this trio of whites last night. Was 1 for 3, but, man, what that 1 was:

1. GianniGagliardo Fallegro Favorita DOC: Langhe (12.5%; EnotecImprts/GreenwoodVillage/CO) LaMorra 2019: Pale yellow color w/ lots of tiny frothy swirly persistent bubbles; light slight floral/pineapple/7Up/Sprite light earthy/herbal nose; soft/underacid rather prikly/petiallant very light floral quite vapid/watery/dull flavor; very short underacid very slight floral rather fizzy/petiallent quite vapid/watery finish; shows virtually no fruit & absolutely no Vermentino character; dull as dishwater (actually…dishwater is far more interesting); the CharlesShaw Favorita blows this wine away; way overpriced at $18.00 (KK) when tapwater is free.

1. Ghiga Favorita DOC: Langhe (12%; FR DevelopmentsImprts/ElPaso/TX) Chiga Enrico/Castiglione Tinella 2017: Light yellow color w/ small bubbles that disappate rapidly w/ some clinging to the glass; very light floral/bit 7Up/Sprite slight earthy rather vapid nose; very lightly tart very slight floral/7Up rather vapid/watery slight petialliant flavor; short slight floral/pineapple/Sprite bit earthy rather vapid/watery finish; one (very tiny) step above the Fallegro; quite a vipid/watery wine w/ almost no fruit & no Vermentino character; dull as dilute dishwater; overpriced at $16.50 (KK)

1. LaColombera Timorasso IlMontino DOC: Colli Tortonesi (14.00%; L M18; GiulianaImprts/Boulder) Semino/Tortona 2018: Med.light gold color; beautiful very fragrant/floral/gardenias/almost muscatty some spicy/cardamon light chalky/mineral slight Mosel valve oil some complex very perfumed terrific nose; fairly tart/tangy very rich very perfumed/spicy/floral/gardenias/Timo almost muscatty quite spicy/cardamon bit Mosel valve oil/petrol some complex beautiful flavor; very long/lingering rather tart very spicy/cardamon very floral/Timo/gardenias bit petrol/Mosel valve oil rather complex beautiful finish; a beautifulexpression of Timo as good as any I recall from WalterMassa; reminds a bit of perfumed Malvasia d’Istriana but not as minerally and more spice & richness; a dynamite Timorasso at a very fair price. $42.00 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Favorita, which is the Piemontese name for the Vermentino grape from nearby Liguria, I had the Idlewild version a few days ago, so thought I’d give these two “authentic” Favoritas a try. Shouldn’t have bothered. These were two of the blandest/most vapid/watery Italian whites I’ve ever had. They should not be being sold and should be driven from the market.

1. Timorasso: This IlMontino is the LaComombera single-vnyd Timo from their mountain vnyd. The regular LaColombera '19, just into NM, is a very good expression of Timo. This IlMontino, just arrived, is one big step above that. I see no reason it shouldn’t go out 10 yrs. Blows away the recent Vietti '19 I recently had. This is Timo at its best. I’m going back for more.
    Tom

Thanks for the notes. Love the sound of that Colombera! I need to get some.

Likewise whenever I’ve drunk a Favorita from the Langhe, it’s been disappointing. I’d like to see more Cortese planted given Albino Rocca’s version impressed me greatly.

I recently found very good, in a huge white italians horizontale :

Piemonte : Colli Tortonesi DOC - Vigne Marina Coppi “Fausto” 2016 : 16,5/20
Powerful, coherent with an interesting citrus bitterness. Balanced with a good acidity. Balsamic inflexions thus some proximity with a Riesling or Château Simone (clairette, Palette).
“Un vin de caractère” …

Yup, Laurent…I’ve had the Fausto and it is very/very good.
Tom

Thank you for this confirmation.

Another worth seeking Timorasso :
Piemonte : Derthona Colli Tortonesi DOC - Vigneti Massa “Montecitorio” 2014 : 16,5/20
Lime tree, honey, bergamot. Coherent, thin, persistant …

Add me to those who have been underwhelmed by Favorita, even if I have enjoyed quite a few wines from Vermentino, Pigato, and Rolle. Perhaps Piemontese growers have yet to figure out how to best utilize this biotype. If not for the excellent Vermentino from Tablas Creek, I would have hypothesized that this grape needs a coastal climate to show its best.

The Gallardo Favorita was merely OK when I had it years ago - definitely not something I would seek out again without a trusted recommendation to give it another try. FWIW, it is the most commonly seen Favorita in the Boston area. Nonetheless, I would definitely recommend going with Erbaluce, Timorasso, or Arneis; or even the mixed bag that Cortese is if you want to try a dry Piemontese white from a native grape.