TN: Bernard Moreau Maltroie 2015

wish I had found this producer long ago. Absolutely riveting wine. Can a nose smell thick? Great density on palate, layers of flavor, super citrus and orchard fruits, very concentrated but lithe, finishes so long and clean. Lemon, lime, peach, all clean and integrated, glycerol-like texture, exceeds expectations. Superb.

2 Likes

Damn you Alan! Another producer I just found last year and I’m still late to the game.

I have an 18 on deck for tomorrow and a couple of bottles of 14.

not my fault! Let’s see some notes soon.

1 Like

They really excelled in 2015. Think these will go a long time, I haven’t really opened any of my bottles yet.

Agreed. The Moreau 2015 Chassagne “Les Caillerets” is excellent.

It was our 2011 wotn for night 2 at drago remember?? (The chev).

yes. My first Moreau.

The whites are exceptional from Moreau. I buy the reds every vintage and this particular bottling in many vintages. Wished I could afford the Chevalier in every vintage. That is a wow wine. I love this one. Thanks for the note Alan.

Sitting on a half case of their 2015 Grandes Ruchottes. Based on reports it seems like this one is a long ager so I might not start them until 8-10 years old.

At least at the time I bought these, which was a while ago, this producer was less expensive than other white burgundy producers with very strong reputations, maybe because it was more of an insider play. Prices seem to have elevated recently (like almost doubling for the Ruchottes compared to what I paid). Seems like a lot of their upper level premier cru whites are in short supply as well (except for the Maltroie).

I own this wine and that’s certainly my strategy. 2012 for example is still a way from maturity.

Had a 2004 Champs Gains this weekend that was just superb. And more so because I spent $53 on it.