87 Duckhorn

Very good wine. Cork in great shape. Not a good bouquet but still had fruit and very enjoyable. Great with food.

Thanks! Which Duckhorn wine was this?

Duckhorn is one of my favorite cabs

Their merlot isn’t too shabby either! Hence why I was curious which wine the OP was referencing.

which merlot do you like from duckhorn

Three Palms prob tops the list for me.

I’ve heard the Vine Hill Ranch merlot from the 80’s/early 90’s is great…but I’ve never had it.

Duckhorn has been a real disappointment for me over the last couple of years - I used to really enjoy their cabernet - and to be honest, Decoy was really a great daily drinker years ago. But as soon as I saw Decoy hard seltzer on the shelf of my local wine store, I knew something was different about the winery. Very disappointing.

Interesting, I haven’t tried any recent releases so can’t comment. Bummer to hear though as I really dig the older bottles. 1980 cab not long ago was still going strong.

I’m a big fan of Duckhorn still. Three Palms Merlot is always good, a “Merlot for Cab lovers”. Their other single vineyard Merlots can also be very good, with a bit more structure than the 3P, Rector Creek is one I like a lot.

The Howell Mountain Cabernet is always very good but needs some time to age.

I stay away from the Napa Valley Merlot and Cab which are overpriced and underperform, IMO.

The 87 was just the regular bottling Cab. Probably paid $10 or $12 back then.

Have a mag of 1987 Three Palms Merlot I plan on popping soon. Can’t wait.