Give my love to Rosé (Champagne): '09 Vilmart GC Rubis, '14 Marguet, NV Ployez-Jacquemart

2009 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier Rubis

A perfect wine. Ambrosial with all the right components in all the right proportions. Seductive strawberry, black cherry and creamy orange, this wine is just too easy to drink. For me, this joins Egly-Ouriet and Amour de Deutz rosés on the highest pedestals.

2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Ambonnay Rosé

The Vilmart was a tough act to follow, but this stood its ground. I wouldn’t have guessed non-dosage. Powerful red fruit, nice structure and minerals. This might be my favorite Marguet Champagne.

NV Ployez-Jacquemart Champagne Extra Brut Rosé

Reliable rosé, and a great value. Bright and energetic, with a slightly bitter finish.

Cheers,
Warren
Vilmart front.jpg
Vilmart back.jpg
Marguet front.jpg
Marguet Back.jpg
Ployez Front.jpg
Ployez back.jpg

1 Like

Thanks for the great notes. And for the Johnny Cash reference. :wink:

1 Like

Great notes, Warren! From a food pairing perspective, do you think rosé champagne is more versatile than BdB, BdN? I’m trying to get more into rosé champagne but having trouble understanding what qualities and styles to look for in them.

Nice notes and beautiful photos, Warren. Seems that both the sun and your love shone most brightly on the Vilmart. And speaking of tough acts to follow, you were doing the Ployez-Jacquemart no favors with these match-ups.

1 Like

Great notes! Also, what Champagne glasses are those?

1 Like

Brian,

I messaged the same question to Jean-Baptiste Lecaillon when I saw all of his Instagram Roederer and Cristal posts with these glasses. They’re Lehmann 45, mouth blown, made in France. I ordered the last ones they had at Flatiron, but they can’t get them anymore. I’ve been trying to find additional ones, but have been unsuccessful here stateside.

Cheers,
Warren

Looks like you sabred that Ployez? Or did the top of the picture just get fuzzy?

La Vie en Rosé !
champagne.gif

those Lehmann 45 stems are available at Lehmann "Jamesse Prestige" Grand Champagne Mouth-Blown Wine Glass #45 - SKU 1161847

They are only sort of availabe. They’ve been on backorder everywhere for more than a year.

Warren,
Thanks for the TNs. Have you had Marguet’s NV Rosé? I thought the Shaman 16 was an excellent value, and also not an obvious non-dosage. How much of a step up is the vintage Ambonnay?
Thanks,
Peter

Marshall,
No, sometimes “portrait mode” on my iPhone makes it appear that way.
Warren

Peter,
The only other Marguet Rosè I’ve had was the Shaman 14. I thought it was energetic and fresh. While it’s hard to say without a side by side comparison, this seemed like a substantial step up from the Shaman.
Cheers,
Warren