TN: 2002 Vollenweider Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Spätlese "Reiler"

• 2002 Vollenweider Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Spätlese “Reiler” - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/25/2021)
    Sometimes you catch a bottle at exactly the right moment. From the first sip it’s firing, and it just powers through like a pitcher throwing a perfect game. Everything is in focus. This wine is right there tonight. Honeyed peach and apple fruit, sweet cream mid-palate that then blends into a bright finish just touched by a little petrol. Nearly three hours after opening it’s just keeping on, so if anyone happens to have a bottle there’s no worry about opening soon.

So glad that Vollenweider has more reliable distribution these days.

Posted from CellarTracker

I brought a bottle home because it is a bit of a leaker. It’s gonna get opened soon. My others look fine. Hopefully, it’s still ok. The bottle of '04 Portz I opened earlier in the week was stellar.

1 Like

Thanks for the Portz info. I have a few.

Andreas?

The winemaker?

Daniel.

Or are you wondering about Portz? That is a specific parcel designation, but a different spot from Reiler.

There was a semi-famous composer named Andreas Vollenweider. I thought maybe he’d re-invented himself as a winery owner.

Nope…he’s still making crystal music.

For some reason my mum had a tape of his White Walls album in the car and my entire memory from the 80’s is this constantly playing on longer road trips. It brings back memories, pretty calming. Would go well with Riesling! [cheers.gif]

Just opened the leaker. Cork was a touch spongy, but it came out in one piece. It’s totally fine! This bottle still has a good dose of acidity. More lemon drop than peach. It’s way less ready than the bottles of '02 and 04 Portz I opened in the past month. No way would I peg this as being almost 20 years old.

Anyway, a happy ending. [cheers.gif]