Charlotte Wine Stores

I am in the process of moving from Chicago to Charlotte and I was wondering where the best wine shops are in the Charlotte area. Specifically I buy a lot of Grower Champagne, and some Rhone Reds, and Italian stuff. I am used to Vin Chicago www.vinchicago.com (amazing selection and cheap prices also a small locally owned chain) and buy some of my stuff at Binny’s. I have no interest in shopping at Total Wine. Any recommendations?

Paul, try Arthur’s at South Park mall. Great selection and service. Tell Robert I sent you !!

1 Like

For grower champagne, I’d recommend Bond Street Wines in Myers Park–it’s not a crazy deep selection, but they have a few good ones (I picked up the Laherte Freres Meunier rose and Pierre Peters cuvee de Reservee this weekend). They have a decent selection of Piemontese and Northern Rhone as well. Reid’s in south park is another good option with some occasional rarities. The wine manager there is a big Piedmont fan, so worth checking out for that as well. I also occasionally see some interesting stuff at the Rhino Market in uptown on occasion–generally base level cuvees but they did have an '08 Special Club (can’t recall producer) the last time I was in there. Foxcroft wines is also worth a stop–pretty broad selection of bottles, and pretty great food as well.

I’ll second Arthur’s, though not sure they have much in the way of Grower stuff. Service and selection are top notch, but pricing can occasionally be a bit steep.

Charlotte is certainly not going to have the same level of retailer as Chicago, but there’s some good stuff if you’re willing to shop around.

1 Like

winestore, Foxcroft & Arthur’s when I’m there

1 Like

Take a hard look at Petit Philippe as well. Great personal touch, and the proprietor takes trips to visit wineries in Oregon and Burgundy regularly.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity are the Wine Stores better across the border in South Carolina and/or do they have better prices?

Pretty sure it’s “yes” on both.

1 Like

Frugal MacDoogal near Carowinds (just into SC) has better pricing mainly due to the difference in state taxes.

Here are two more Charlotte area options that may have some of what you’re looking for:
Wine Vault near UNCC
Wine Maestro in Mooresville

1 Like

Envoyer ship to Charlotte? Your grower Champagne problems would be over. champagne.gif

1 Like

Are they? Thought they had a lot of the ABC operations in South Carolina.

Better prices on Orin Swift.

Try some new material your act is stale. Maybe through in Caymus or Prisoner and no one has better prices on Orin Swift than MN! neener

I’ve never seen anything remarkable at Frugal or any of the Stateline stores… Occasionally some decent Bourbon, if you want to wait in line at 4am.

1 Like

I will second Bond Street. Always good to support a locally owned independent business. Good selection overall, with access to much more depending on your preferences.

NC has an ABC system for spirits, but haven’t seen them in SC. I’m conflating spirits selection in SC vs. the NC ABC selection, which is horrid.

Stateline in SC has a decent wine selection, IIRC.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts re Charlotte wine stores. I have lived in Charlotte for 23 years, but rarely buy wines at retail here, but will check out Bond Street and Reid’s (I believe Leyla Arcovio is now at Reid’s, but used to be at Bond Street (or its predecessor)). And yes, Envoyer does deliver to Charlotte as I have been ordering from them for 10 years. One suggestion I would add is not a brick and mortar store, but a former wine retailer from Charlotte who now runs an internet business, Jake Jacobs at Carolina Wine Merchants. Jake is a great guy and I buy a good bit of Nebbiolo from him (PdB, Vajra, F. Alessandria and now Azelia) as well as Chianti Classico (Felsina, in particular). Plus, he has helped sourced some of my favorite Italians white wines (Pra, Margreid and Cantina Terlan). He also delivers free directly to your home!

1 Like

Robert at Arthur’s is very knowledgeable, known him a long time and trust him.

Shameless self promotion, but my company has 3 stores in the greater Charlotte area. We will help you track down anything you are looking for!

https://winestore-online.com/

+1 Mark is the proprietor. They do a great job with their clientele, and have a nice broad section of new and old world.

This is my favorite spot in town. They put customer service first. I stopped by to pick a few bottles for a short vacation and walked out with Patricia Green, Walter Scott, and Bedrock all priced close to list.