TN: 2002 Dom Perignon P2

Superb. An immensely drinkable wine - subtle in its strength, yet quietly dripping with quality. The nose was very pretty - reminiscent of the straight 2002 in its touches of buttery biscuit, strawberry cream and apple purée, and then a garland of floral aromas - yet somehow both deeper and more subtle at the same time. Richer and more buttery than one would normally associate with a Dom we thought. The palate was still a little tight at first approach, but there was a real tensile strength to it even from first pour, with a steely minerality woven through subtly, quietly powerful flavours of red apples and berry flesh. A really sleek, polished mouthful, with a tremendous sense of focus and definition to it. With time, the wine slowly opened up as well, showing an increasingly plump, fleshy midpalate, with just a hint of honey leading into the beautifully long, mineral finish. Absolutely pitch perfect balance, and lovely mouthfeel, with a creamy mousse and a deep beautifully integrate seam of lemony acidity. Awesome stuff, drinking so beautifully now; but one should really resist succumbing to its gulpability - it really opens up with time in the glass, and will definitely continue to open up in the next few years in the bottle. Bravo.

I had a great Dom Perignon P2 1998 in 2018 (18,5/20).

Paul, thanks for a great note. I have not cracked one of these yet. I’m excited to try it.

Thanks. Agree with your assessment about richer and more buttery than a typical DP. I wasn’t super impressed, but it was a PnP pre-dinner bottle, so I think perhaps we didn’t give it enough air time to come around as you suggest.

Nice note!

MarcF and I had this about a month ago, it’s superb. Definitely improved over the course of the evening. He immediately bought more the next day!

Might bring one to oriole this fall.

I had the great good fortune to be given a couple of glasses of this very recently.

Your first word sums it up perfectly. champagne.gif

Thanks for the responses guys - always nice to hear what people others think of wines that I enjoyed!

drank a regular 02 last night. Much tighter than your P2 and not creamy though a nice quaff.

1 Like