TN: 2016 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Bonnes Mares

• 2016 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (7/25/2021)
    Translucent dark ruby. Nose of ripe cranberries, cherries, and some fresh vegetal/celery notes, I presume from stems (though I don’t know what Mugnier’s whole-cluster policy actually is). Bright acid provides for nice sweet-and-sour contrast. Good length on the palate. Masculine, quite primary and maybe a bit reticent. There was a touch of some volatile/varnish/shoe-polishy note, but I found it actually added pleasant complexity to what otherwise seemed like a wine with only a few facets. Not shut down, but maybe moving in that direction. With enough structure (both tannin and acid) for the long haul, and probably enough concentration of fruit as well, it’s probably best to leave this for at least a decade. Score reflects current enjoyment rather than future potential—this wasn’t quite the showstopper I was hoping for when I spotted it on a wine list at a Provençal restaurant for €550, which is a bargain only in relative terms. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I had it at the domain in november 2017; with other 2016.

Verdict :
Mugnier Bonnes-Mares 2016 : 18/20
Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny Amoureuses 2016 : 18,5/20
Mugnier Musigny 2016 : 19/20
Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny Amoureuses 2006 : 18/20

A great visit … [cheers.gif]

I enjoy finding restaurant wines for less than current winesearcher, so that’s a score. Sorry it didn’t strike a profound chord.

The French do seem to like their wines on the young side. Provence, eh? Hope you are relaxing while dodging delta.

nice note, sounds pretty typical for young Mugnier TBH. Cant blame you for grabbing a bottle for a fair price.

Thanks for the note Dan.

I reckon out of any Grand Cru (including Corton and Clos Vougeot), Bonnes Mares demands cellar time to show anywhere near its best (20-30+ years). I certainly don’t blame you for taking one off the list at that price.

Friends,
Most of you seem to follow Alan Meadows where the time of consuming the wine is concerned. He always demands for an extremely long waiting time. However, I had the 2008 and 2009 BONNES MARES by Christophe Roumier (together with master of wine Jan De Clercq) and we both agreed: both were fantastic wines and a heavenly joy to drink even NOW.

SINCERELY JOHAN