TNs: Montrachet + Amoureuses Night

MONTRACHET AND AMOUREUSES DINNER - Nicolas Restaurant, Teck Lim Street, Singapore (5/11/2020)

Not sure how the Austrian ringer slipper in here, but it was pretty good

• 2006 Philippe Colin Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Very yummy. Given the softer 2006 vintage, this actually drank better when served just a touch more chilled then I normally would for a Grand Cru. This had a lovely nose, with sweet wafts of ripe red apples shading into peach, a drift of white florals, and then typical notes of cream and chalky mineral. Very pretty. The palate was delicious at this point, if maybe just lacking a touch of the cut and definition I would expect from a top Chevalier. It unfolded across the mouth with lovely soft layers of white fruit - apples and ripe pears, maybe a sweeter hint of melon, and then just the lightest coating of cream, flowers and a tiny little tail of minerality lingering in a long finish. Not sure this is one for the future, but it was delicious and drinking very well now. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Marquis de Laguiche (Joseph Drouhin) Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru
    Really enjoyable. The deep gold colour was a bit worrying, and this was indeed a touch oxisided, but thankfully in a nicely matured Burg way, rather than full-on premoxed undrinkability. The nose reflected that as well, with notes of honeyed pear and red apples laced with lashes of honey, umami, white meat and earth. The palate was really delicious, with dulcet honeyed tones and shades of ripe red apple laced with a surprising amount of acidity for a 2005, all this keeping proceedings brisk and lively. The sweet ripeness of a warm year was there, and certainly some caramel notes creeping in, but this was definitely light on its feet for the vintage. Solid midpalate and finish too, with a lovely sweet blush of apple fruit lined with plenty of mineral and earth pulling away into a long, full, palate-coating finish. Lots of power and intensity on this, all held in a very effortless, complete Montrachet fashion - I thought it lacked just a touch of the elegance of the very best Marquis de Laguiche vintages. Nevertheless, this was just lovely. About time to drink up though. (94 pts.)
  • 2016 Gerhard Markowitsch Pinot Noir Ried Scheibner - Austria, Niederösterreich, Carnuntum
    Really fine, this was the best Markowitsch I have had so far. The nose was quite Burgundian, if perhaps just a bit forward on the toasty, spicy oak notes, with sweet notes of cherries and spice, maybe a touch of candy, but balance out with just a touch of earth at the edges. Fragrant and inviting. The palate was young, but really nice, with the high altitude showing in its elegant shape and feel, with fine, powdery tannins and nicely judged acidity framing a juicy mouthful of dark cherries and blueberries seasoned with a touch of spice and earth, all pushing into a nice long finish. Really excellent, and this will only get better over the next few years. (93 pts.)
  • 2002 Domaine Charles Thomas Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru
    A lovely charmer. I did not have high hopes on this, but it was surprisingly good. The nose was worryingly funky at first, with a chicken-shot funkiness, but this blew off a little with time to reveal an attractive bouquet of dark cherries and berries, sour plums, earth and gentle Vosne spice, these crowned with a little diadem of floral notes. The palate was really alluring, with a cloak of juicy acidity and soft, velvet tannins wrapped around a savoury core of savoury, meaty notes, and then a layer of dark cherries and berries, these seasoned with gentle notes of spice and violet florals. Nice finish too, with a twist of spice, herb and flowers right at the end. The finish was just a tad short, but this was drinking beautifully well now - absolutely delicious and very charming. (94 pts.)
  • 1996 Domaine Robert Groffier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    I have always liked this wine, and it seems to be getting better and better over the years. This bottle was just lovely. The nose had a beautiful melange of dark cherries and blueberries, lifted spice and violet florals, with just a lilt of earth and chalky mineral running along behind. Very pretty. The palate was really strong for a 1996 as well, with a wonderful mouthful of black cherries and deeper blueberries infused with delicious notes of spice and dark florals. There was a strong spine of fine tannins and bright acidity running through the whole thing, lending a wonderful juiciness to the wine, but with none of the tartness that some 1996s show. There was certainly more than enough fruit here to drive the whole thing. Nice finish too, with a long tail of mineral, dried flowers and a little kiss of dried fruit. Absolutely delicious - this was drinking quite at peak. (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Much, much better than the rather skinny bottle I had a year back. Perhaps an extended time in the decanter help. A seemingly ageless wine tonight, this bottle could easily be something 10 years younger. The nose was fairly tight for an Amoureuses even with a few hours in the decanter, with little notes of earth and mineral dancing around a deep, subtle core of dark cherry and blackberries crowned with a touch of violets, and a lift of spicier. Deep, quiet, but certainly compelling. The palate was also tight when first poured, only slowly unfolding across the path of hours, unfurling in layers of black cherries and dark berries, earth and spice, all pierced through with a spear of bright juicy 2001 acidity, and a spine of fine-boned tannins. This was a serious wine - intellectual yet alluring. Tons of life ahead of it yet though - I would give it another 3-4 years left. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Well done. Thanks for the notes.