TN: 1999 Château d'Yquem (France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes)

• 1999 Château d’Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (7/26/2021)
    Day two note…SUPER balance of botrytis candied honey, toffee chews, dried pineapple/apricots sweetness…to the intense tangerine and lemon citrus streak of fresh acidity…salty crushed minerals…FLORALS galore of saffron threads, peach tea, apricot jam, honeycomb. Age has waxed up the sheen nicely…little tobacco spice, wet wool, and orange bitters show in the long, expressive, and even keel finish. Showing a ton more complexities than my last bottle in 2008(duh). Always a regal wine…a treat in itself! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

A complete sleeper vintage. Around 2009, a Noo Yawk recruiting firm threw a networking event, and served this all night as the main drink. Most attendees had no clue about this hedonistic opportunity.

Throw that sugary crap away and open that Raveneau on the back right counter.

Could any more glass go into the making of that stem you are using Mr Buzz?

Ha! I’ve never understood why people use those tiny glasses for dessert wines. Put it in a real glass so you can get the nose, Buzz [cheers.gif] !

1 Like

I did…

1 Like

Yeah…was playing around with some random glassware day one. The Grassl Liberte was it day two. The nose was wonderful in that big glass though. [wow.gif]

I had my one bottle of this a couple of months ago and it was really fantastic.

Why is there more wine in the bottle on day two than on day one?

At the time it was released, it was considered, I believe, a lighter vintage and was “only” $130 a fifth. As a result I bought several half bottles and few fifths. I have found it more opulent than other vintages, and loved the wine.

In 2004, HiTimes had this for $59/.375. Like a fool, I only bought 3. This was early in my wine odyssey, and that seemed like a lot of money to me. I’m opening my first bottle of it this weekend.

Cheers,
Warren

1 Like

Bought a case of 24 halves on release for £40 each all in after enjoying it at Gordon Ramsey at the Connaught. Sounds like I need to crack the case.