Undervalued/underappreciated vintages

Mostly thinking about bdx and barolo atm, as we’ve talked about burg incessantly.

I think 15 is undervalued/underappreciated for both. Maybe 15 in the Rhone as well with how highly regarded 16 is.

14 IMHO is probably the most undervalued/highest QPR bordeaux right now.

1 Like

Too many to list. Some quick-hit thoughts:

14 and 12 in Red Burg – probably 16 and 17 too.
09 and 11 in White Burg. Perhaps 18 too.
04 and 09 in Champagne
11 and 14 in N Rhone
14 in Bordeaux
Agree with 15 in Barolo but not in N Rhone

14 bdx is definitely underpriced and underrated as well.

Regarding 15 bdx; I’ve been able to get first growths for the same price as “off” vintages like 01 lately.

14 hasn’t been much cheaper, at least in my experience.

I think 16 and 17 North Rhone is pretty good as well. I know they’re flanked by some incredible vintages, but might not be quite as pricey.

What makes you think 15 Northern Rhone is undervalued/underappreciated? I think it’s quite the opposite…

I suspect 15 N Rhone is ‘appropriately’ rated at the moment - at least based on Hermitage La Chapelle its the most expensive vintage out of 14/15/16/17/18/19, but I think it will appreciate further from here.

2008 in Bordeaux was pretty solid, and never had the glamour of 2009 or 2010.

I haven’t compared a bunch of them to 2014 but by reputation it has some of that Atlantic commentary.

2004 and 2006 might also be undervalued, as regular vintages, but are likely to be of lower quality than some other recent years.

I’ve generally seen higher prices for the 16s for rhone (both n/s) when compared with the 15s.

I have a couple 08 Barton; not sure if they’re ready yet though.

Agreed, long ago.

Although my sample size is small, I think 16 is markedly superior to 15 in the N Rhone.

1 Like

I mean it just depends on what you like; I much prefer 15.

I think conventional wisdom disagrees with that from many (but not all) critics

I think most people here for the most part ignore critics.

I personally prefer 15; I think it’s nearly a perfect vintage in both n and s rhone.

'15 is a bit diluted in the Northern Médoc. If you’re patient I think '14 is a better proposition here.

2 Likes

I like 14 but I think it lacks fruit compared to 15; I guess we’ll see in time.

I like '08, '12, and '14 on the left bank. Good on the palate and good on the wallet.

Might be good on the right bank, too, for all I know, but haven’t tried many from those years.

Lots of underrated Bordeaux vintages IMHO. For example, 1979, 1983, 1988, 1996 (in the Medoc), 2001, 2004, 2008, 2014 and probably a few others.