TN: 2018 Louis Claude Desvignes Morgon Javernières

Lots of grim comments on 2018 and the future of over-ripe Beaujolais vintages here… but I’m happy to report that there are still nice wines being made.

• 2018 Louis Claude Desvignes Morgon Javernières - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (7/27/2021)
    Excellent, large scaled, ripe year Morgon. I’ve found some of these 2018s overripe and flabby, but not this one, which is serious and structured. Framboise liqueur and crushed violets on the nose, and but absolutely fresh on the plate. Loads of savory/chalky minerals, crunchy raspberry-blackberry fruits that are taut, bright and deep. A base note of cocoa powder, ash that fan out into the powdery tannins on the long finish. One of the best young cru Beaujolais I’ve had recently, at least since the ‘16 Roilette tardive. I need to track more down. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice! Thanks for checking in on this. From your description, I feel good about keeping mine for a few years still before cracking one open.

Phil, It should definitely age nicely. But if you’ve got a bunch, there’s no harm in popping one as it’s drinking so well now (especially after a couple hours open). [cheers.gif]

I think that 2018 worked really well with the house style, which is more structured and restrained and I really enjoyed the bottle I tried from my stash. A recent bottle of 2005 was lovely with bottle sweetness and sous bois.