TN: 2016 Calon Segur, William Mary Shifflett Ranch

I am a bit surprised by how similar these two wines showed. Both clock in at 14.5%. In the glass, they are virtually indistinguishable by color and concentration (the Bordeaux having slightly more translucency at the rim, but you have to look for it). Both have inky fruits and freshness. I think most blinded would call the Napa and Bordeaux correctly, but the wines are more sisters than strangers across the pond. This seems to be a better old world vs. new world debate than the Oregon vs. Burgundy pinot noir. I think both wines will benefit from another 5 years, with the Bordeaux being the more interesting wine over time (10+ years). Overall, the Calon Segur is the better wine to me, but it also is 30% more expensive. I think the William Mary would be enjoyed by nearly everyone who enjoyed the Calon Segur. Climate change in France versus better winemaking out of Napa…

I lost my detailed tasting notes, but here goes off memory:

2016 Calon Segur: 10 hour double decant. Inky dark purple concentration, with lifted freshness. No obvious vanilla here, with notes of blackberry, blueberry, purple raspberry and plum skin. Ripe, but not jammy sweet. Great freshness. A slightly creamy texture, but overall enough freshness to cover the 14.5%. Medum+ finish. 93-94, with potential upside to 95 over time (would look for a longer finish and softer fruits). I can see a Napa cab drinker scoring this 95+ today. I own a case, but I am not compelled here to add another case given plenty of other wines at its current $150 price (especially at 14.5% alcohol). If this was 13-13.5% alcohol, I think this wine would be sold out globally.

2016 William & Mary Schifflet Ranch Cabernet: 10 hour double decant. Inky dark purple concentration, with good freshness. Dark red fruited with a kiss of sweetness and vanilla. Slightly riper than the 2016 Calon Segur, but also not veering into jammy and also with nearly as good frehsness. A streak of bitter green on the finish (which brings welcome complexity for me). Overall, enough freshness and complexity to cover the 14.5% alcohol, but the slight sweetness does betray the high power. Medium finish. 93 for me, but I can see cab drinkers scoring this 94-95+. Nearly right behind the globally endorsed 2016 Calon Segur.

#Napa #Bordeaux #Wine #CalonSegur #WilliamMary #Cabernet #BordeauxBlend #Duel #ClimateChange

2 Likes

Great notes, I finished my 2016 William and Mary’s this summer, and it’s a wonderful wine–with plenty of development ahead.

Thanks for these notes - it was inspired to put these head to head. 2016 is the first vintage in a while where Bordeaux and CA have similar reputations for high quality. In a few years it might be cool to do an expanded version – from my own cellar that could be Calon/Canon/Carmes/Marquis d’Alesme vs. Tynan/Detert/Di Costanzo/Myriad – and there are some oddballs like Clos St Julien or Roc de Cambes that could make it interesting. Di Co vs. Dame de Montrose in 5 years and 10 years.

It’s good to hear the Calon has not shut down. It was great on release but don’t plan on touching another for at least 5 years. And at $85 at EP, it was a great value. Minor nitpick: Calon is 14% alcohol, not 14.5%…