TN: 2007 Comte du Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanee La Colombiere

Wow. From a magnum served blind, most of us thought this was easily a good Vosne 1er Cru. It had a drop-dead gorgeous nose, with wafts of lovely Vosne spice floating around a sweet core of cherries and blueberries, violets, then just a little twist of earthy sous bois. Lovely, heady, perfume stuff. The palate was showing absolutely beautifully. Soft, silky tannins; beautifully integrated acidity; fresh fruit - with dark cherries and red berries - violets; gentle notes of earth; all resolving into a soft, gentle, beautifully integrated finish with hints of spice and violet florals peeking out alongside a hint of an earthier, more minerally backbone. Like so many of the best CLB wines, this was a bottle oozing with charm and elegant finesse. An absolutely seductive mouthful, drinking so wonderfully on the night. One of the best village wines I have ever had, this magnum disappeared in record time.

I had the Clos du Chateau 07 recently (0.75) - also in a great spot now, far better than most Village wines … however there is still a difference to CLBs 1er Crus, most obviously in length …

Also in price [cheers.gif]

These have quickly moved away from the realm of everyday drinking…

Agree, prices are extremely high, I would not spend 400-600 for any Village wine … nor 900-2000 for a 1er Cru … however
the wines are super …

This is such an awesome wine. We have a couple of cases in our local Tastevin that we bought several years ago. If I can get the guys who only drink village wines at 15 to 20 years of age to put them out there, I would love to have this. I think the 07s from Liger Belair are in the zone.

i had the pleasure of tasting through some of the CLB 2017s at last year’s La Paulee. Amazing amazing young wines. Sadly my budget just would not stretch to buying even a single bottle. Of the ultra high end Burgs I’ve tried I’m saddest over not being able to own any CLB. And yes I mean DRC, Leroy, etc. Admittedly my sample size for each is so tiny that this is a pointless distinction.