Magdelaine 2001

My last bottle of Magdelaine was the extraordinary 1998. After buying a couple of cases of 2001, I decided I needed to try a bottle.

It is a different animal to the 1998. The ‘98 is profound, great, serious and demanding. A wine that requires the utmost concentration to wrest every nuance. First growth in quality, it’s going to need at least a decade.

Enter the 2001. It is at nineteen also a decade away from full maturity. It is less dense, less imposing than 1998 but easier, a delightful glass of wine. The fruit is bright red, there is spice and an edge of leather and cedar. And the finish is surprisingly long. A brilliant pairing with roast duck.

It was a fascinating comparison, two sides of a really fine estate. The 2001 is for the short term; it is going to pair better with food and be far easier to drink now. Long term of course, I will go with 1998, but for today, I am happy to open the 2001.

That’s pretty much how I feel about 2001 Bordeaux (in general). Lovely wines for now, and the next decade plus.

Nice note, Mark! Agreed on 2001, been going through lots of that lately. I have easily gone through six bottles of Sociando alone last 18 months. So in the zone.

off topic but any thoughts on 1996 vs 2001 HB for current drinking?

I had the 1996 Haut Brion a couple of years ago. Excellent showing, second only to Latour. Only tasted he 2001 en primeur, so no useful note.