California cabernet, current producers in the Old School

This bored seems up-to-date on CA stuff, so it seems appropriate to ask here rather than other places.

One of my goals for this year is to drink a bunch of CA cabernet with a focus on 1987 and before.

I don’t think there is any debate that there was a dramatic stylistic shift throughout Ca and Napa especially around the early 1990s. The massive replanting that had to be done in the mid-90s led to an even more dramatic tilt towards wines with massive fruit, alcohol, and VA. Without making any aesthetic judgments, IMO these wines suck.

That being said, I am open to trying contemporary wines. Who are the producers making wine now in a style that you think I would like?

My most recent release purchase of CA cabernet was 1994 Laurel Glen and Montebello, if that gives you any references.

In addition, I also very much like 1970s-1991 Phelps Eisele & Backus, Montelena, Dunn, Mayacamas, Freemark Abbey, Forman, Heitz Martha’s, Mount Eden, SCMV Bates, inter alia.

If you help me with this, I’ll help you with Loire wines.

Thanks.

Have you tried any Ridge or Chappellet recently? They might be to your liking.

The Forman wines and older Ridge are terrific…

I would go with Dominus (if you are brett phobic), Arns (lower slopes of Howell Mtn), Rafanelli, Sherwin, and more…

tell us how you really feel?

Without getting into the ‘suck’ territory, you should try Cornerstone, Hoopes and Dyer from classic vintages.

Frank Family Reserves, Dutch Henry Winery and Gargiulo is making some nice wines that should be in your wheelhouse. Think Money Road!

Don’t forget Corison Kronos.

[tease.gif] I agree with Tony!!! Uh oh!!! flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall [rofl.gif]

Marshall…despite that very bad hat, you and I (and even your brother - well not politics) agree on quite a bit…

Have had recent-ish Montebello but not a Chapellet since the 80s when they were decidely made in a very hard style. Not unlike Mayacamas of the era, IIRC.

I know what I like in older wines, it’s the now that I’m out of the loop on.

I haven’t had Dominus recently, but it’s something my dad bought starting in 1984, IIRC, so I’ve had a lot of it.

I had a 1991 Flora Springs Hillside reserve that I really liked, but that was 8 or 9 years ago. Ditto for 1991 Silverado Limited.

Find a list of Napa Cabernets.

Highlight all the wines that you’ve noticed are getting really big airtime from critics and wine boards.

Try the wines that are not highlighted.

[soap.gif]

Bitter? Not me. Well, maybe just a bit, but I do think this strategy would work. [winner.gif]

I’ve had Cornerstone back in the mid-90s and was just OK with it. It’s been a while. Howell Mtn, right?

Love Cathy Corisons wines. Another one my dad used to buy.

I’ve never had nor heard of Hoopes, Dyer, Frank Family, Dutch Henry or Gargiulo. Thank you.

WTF is Money Road? Did you misspell monkey?

Cornerstone produced some Howell Mtn and Diamond Mtn wines IIRC…not a fan of Cabs from Diamond Mtn though…

Like I said I’m not making judgments. All the big pointy wine suck ass.

Oh, what should I expect to pay for the privilege of these under-the-radar gems?

Thats cool. I guess I forgot the [basic-smile.gif]

Its your taste.

$50-$80

Money Road Ranch. Garguilos source for Cabs and Merlot.

In my mind, a very ‘four square’ style, which is to say, classic cab style. Corison does it, and I am not usually a fan, so go figure. The list I mention has that in common, the style part, not the not liking part, as I am a fan. Especially of the Hoopes and Garguilo. I have a bunch more, but figure that is a start.

I must admit that other than Corison, I haven’t heard of a single wine on your list. . . . . I must be getting better. . . . maybe my therapy is working.

Saddleback
Paradigm
Beringer Private Reserve (Maybe)
ACV Cabernet Reserve

Thanks Tex.

No. I found these to be way too soupy and woody for me.

Paradigm

My experience was always meh with those in the 90s.

Beringer Private Reserve (Maybe)

Current? Have had many older ones that ranged from good to meh.

ACV Cabernet Reserve

Anderson’s Conn Valley?

You know, I’ve been curious and it’s been a while since I tried one. I just assumed that since they were pointy, they were terrible.

And then there is Ghost Horse.

Good to see somebodys is, because mine is full of FAIL! [wink.gif]

Nathan, those are the most old school that I like. If they don’t do it for you, then I am left without any reco’s.

Here’s another:
Broman cabernet

You can still find some of thier 99s and 01s. well worth it.

Contact Lisa at the winery if you can’t. Under $50

I thought you asked here because you wanted an off the beaten path list, no? I can get you so far from the path, you will need a GPS to get home.
[swoon.gif]

Sorry, I’m not a big user of emoticons. Of course I am making aesthetic judgments. and of course I think mine are better than yours. To act like anything else were true would be intellectually dishonest, but that doesn’t mean that I am not interested in your input about things I know nothing about.

$50-$80

I was afraid you say that. That’s what makes it so hard to catch up.

In my mind, a very ‘four square’ style, which is to say, classic cab style. Corison does it, and I am not usually a fan, so go figure.

I wouldn’t consider Corison to be “four-square”, as I use that term. I find her wines among the most elegant in the Valley.

I would consider Dunn to be four square or pre-90s Montelena.