TN: 2019 Rita & Rudolf Trossen Riesling Pyramide Purus (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

• 2019 Rita & Rudolf Trossen Riesling Pyramide Purus - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/25/2021)
    Crown cap closure. Filled almost to the top. Was curious to see if it was , or just a thinner bottle. Made a mark at the fill level, decanted the bottle and then proceeded to weight the empty bottle and fill it with water up to the fill line: 756g of water, so not as overfilled as I expected.

Deep copper in colour. On the nose there’s orange marmalade, stewed pineapple rind, Bruised apples, watercress, and a bit of oxidative nuttiness. Surprisingly fresher on the palate than its colour would indicate. Dry and medium bodied with tart lemon and hazelnuts. Nothing flawed about the wine, but there’s also nothing in it that’s really doing it for me. This feels like a wine that’s trying waayy too hard to be hipster. While I can see how this style of wine may appeal to those ‘natty wine’ fans looking for something ‘unique’, it’s challenging to come to terms with it at its price point given how many excellent Rieslings are out there in that price bracket.

ABV: 13.5%
Closure: Crown cap
Decant: 20min
Stem: Grassl Liberte
Assemblage: whole cluster fermented in 1000L stainless steel with indigenous years over 6 months, then aged for 11 months on the lees. Bottled un fined, unfiltered with with zero sulfur added.