Received Detert email this morning

What a lovely way to start my day…the East Block release will be offered this Tuesday. They did mention that there were only 150 cases produced, so I’m pretty sure that all that we will be offered is a 3-pak, but I’ll gladly take it!

2 Likes

Guys, how much “better” is east block then the base cab franc wine? The price differential is drastic-$175 vs $95 and the vinous score is a mere 1 point higher at 97 vs 96 (but scores don’t matter right). Curious to get some feedback here.

In my experience, on the pop and pour, it’s hard to tell the difference between the cab franc cuvées. But after a few hours, the East Block has this extra gear that made me understand the price difference. Girlfriend still says that the 2014 East Block that Tom had open for us when we tasted with him was the best wine she’s ever had. My impression is that they’re for laying down a bit - all the Deterts I’ve had seem to age well (with the exception of the 2003s). I have a 1977 I aim to crack soon.

1 Like

Had a 2011 (not East Block) at Press in Napa earlier this year and fell in love. Signed up for their list right away and I got the same email this morning.
I’ll gladly buy as much as they’ll sell me (in lieu of that $ going to Acme for the same wines).

I was able soon after to find 2 bottles of the 2011 at auction so I snapped them up and they will be the birthday wines for one of my best friends in the next few years. It was her birthday dinner at Press we had the wine so naturally fitting they are “her” wines in my cellar.

1 Like

There have been some re-plantings of the some of the other areas I know. Not sure what percentage of the old vines go into the base bottling but think for a few years the $95 had a large amount of the old vines too.

As you say, it’s not an easy thing to quantify.

I think this is the best way I can put it: after tasting both, my wife and I pretty quickly/conclusively agreed on a 2:1 (base : east block) ratio for our purchase. Whether that means one is almost twice as good, or the other represents value, or maybe we’re just goofy, I can’t say. [snort.gif]

If you follow the link and go into your account and Allocation History it shows a maximum order quantity of one 3-pack for the upcoming allocation for me.

Ditto. On the one hand the email indicates that yield was minuscule this year, and on the other I only joined the list this past April. Not sure which factor weighs on the allocation amount more. Does anyone see a higher number? If so how long have you been buying from Detert?

1 Like

I’m going to guess everyone is allocated a 3 pack.

1 Like

This will be my first offering with Detert since signing up for the list. I’m on the fence about jumping in for a 3 pack of Cab Franc at $175 each (sounds amazing from what people are saying, but a lot of other offerings coming in at the same time and trying to budget). I do want to say on the list, though, so I can get Cabernet Sauvignon offers in the future. Anyone have any idea whether passing on this offer would get me booted from the list?

I wouldn’t expect to get booted, but would expect those new customers buying their first Detert wine in the '18 CF East Block to jump in front of you on the list as they’ll be repeat customers for the next release.
If you’re worried about it contact them via the “contact” tab on their website. They’re straightforward people.

1 Like

Allocations are enabled! Order in for a 3-pack…

2 Likes

Grabbed my allocated 3-pack as well.

$175 per bottle?

I’ve been on the list for 1-2 years, never bought, and continue to get an allocation.

1 Like

Third oldest planting in To Kalon. Some of the oldest in Napa. Dry farmed.

I’ve got a handful of Detert and blew through my budget last month. I’ll wait for the CF/CS offering this year.

Order in as well!!

I buy my allocation of the regular CS and CF every year without blinking. At $175, the East Block is a tougher decision. I skipped the last few vintages, but I grabbed this one.

I am on list . Buy the Cab and the regular Cab Franc. $175/ bottle just too rich for me!