La Ca’Nova 2018

La Ca’Nova Barbaresco Montefico 2018
La Ca’Nova Barbaresco Montestefano
La Ca’Nova Barbaresco 2018

Last week lovely visit to the winery. Heritage is all over and Marco is a great sympathetic and knowledgeable host.
I remember 2016 La Ca’Nova was very high on the quality scale and 2018 is:
WOW again!
Montefico - floral, mint, spice, red/black fruit; Powerful, punchy, complex, dark integrated tannin but in the same time nice nuance and elegance. All in all beautifully balanced. Fantastic Barbaresco.
The Montestefano is even more elegant and less on the dark side in 2018 IMO.
Both need time in cellar and will age great.
Classic Barbaresco is more approachable but I prefer the cru’s ones in all other aspects.
BFC00DBE-5B65-4531-A7AC-172432574853.jpeg

2 Likes

I liked the 18 Montefico a lot as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Excited to try these wines I have high hopes for the 2018’s the 16’s were soooo good. Thanks for notes.

1 Like

Thanks for the notes. I’ve only tried the Langhe Nebbiolo so far, which is nice QPR. Look forward to opening the others.

1 Like

I have some 15’s and 16’s in my cellar, but haven’t tried anything from this producer yet. Lopa just put out an offer for the 2019’s. I guess I should pull a cork or two.

Pop a '15. They are drinking pretty well.

Thanks for this advice. I started buying them with that vintage, and I had not visited the winery when I was there in 2014, so I’ve been going on the word of others. Will pop one this weekend and see. Suggestions for decant/decant time?

Yes, thank you. I will try to pop a 2015 Montefico this weekend.

Thanks for the notes, glad to hear 18’ has potential. The 16’ Montefico was just great right out of the gate I’m hoping 18’ is close to as good.

These wines are always special to me. My late friend Brian Bangs (Founder of Green Mill for you MN people) rep these wines and all were great values! Need to try some newer vintages.

The '16s I had from this producer were mouth-puckeringly tannic. And I usually have little problem with youthful nebbiolo. I’m holding onto them on faith and reputation, but I did not get much enjoyment out of the 2 bottles I opened and would have returned the remainder bottles if allowed…

I did give the wine about 3-4 decant but the fruit helped to balance out the tannins although not completely. I tasted the potential and that got me excited for the future unfortunately it sounds like you had a different experience, young nebbiolo can be quite brutal as you mentioned hopefully those 2 bottles give you some enjoyment in time.