Best Merlot Vineyards

I personally think Sideways was a blessing for those who love merlot, as no one is growing it that doesn’t love it. That said, I know all about old vine zin and old vine cab vineyards–but not much on merlot. I know of Duckhorn Three Palms Vineyard and many “Bordeaux” blends that have some merlot in them, but is there a Pétrus in the US?

When I could afford it, I thought the State Lane Vineyard Merlot by Kapscandy was pretty darned good. Seems like good grapes.

Mayacamas used to make a very good Merlot. Have not tasted it (or any of their wines) since the change in ownership.

Interesting question.I am not sure how my personal experiences will stack up, but some of the best domestic merlots I have had based on my CT scores have been from Sangiacomo Vineyards in Sonoma. I also had a Winebid find from Liparita Howell Mountain, no clue on the vineyard. The Liparita was probably my best Merlot ever. It was a ‘91 from a mag.

1 Like

Fan of Bancroft Ranch Vineyard, Mayacamas, Paloma.

3 Likes

Pahlmeyer, Duckhorn, Mayacamas are Merlot classics in Napa.

2 Likes

No there is no Petrus in the US. You could buy 3 or 4 cases of good Merlot for one Petrus.

1 Like

Spring Mountain comes to mind and in particular Barnett makes an amazing Merlot.

Seems to be the highest rated on CellarTracker, but wow, almost $400. I guess that is cheaper than Château Pétrus.

Worth noting that Goosecross makes a State Lane Vineyard Merlot for $70. I haven’t had it to my knowledge but I do like many of the other Goosecross wines.

1 Like

It is still good IMO. Also Pride makes a good merlot.

1 Like

Frogs leap 2018 Merlot is available and very very good.

Tom

1 Like

Wow. Only $28.

Agreed. I had a 1991 library release of Frog’s Leap Merlot a few years back and it was fantastic!

I like the Howell Mountain merlot - la Jota and duckhorn make excellent age worthy merlot from HM. Not a fan of Blankiet’s merlot plot -paradise hills.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed La Jota and their Restricted from Yverdon Vineyard (last was a 2014 back in April which was incredible), Buccella, Gargiulo Money Road Ranch, Freemark Abbey Stagecoach & Bosche, and A. Rafanelli. Looking in CT I guess we drink more merlot than I realized. I’m a fan.

Been enjoying merlots from Paloma up in Spring Mountain, Hourglass Blueline Estate, La Jota, Bob Foley - another mountain merlot, Barnett - mountain, St. Supéry in Rutherford.

Had the 2013 Hartwell Merlot from Stags Leap District- simply outstanding!

I like their Merlot and Cabernet. Nice to see their prices have not gone up much over the years.

Best Merlot I ever had was a 97 Beringer Bancroft Ranch a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Agree on Hourglass. I might enjoy the merlot more than the Cabernet.

Barnett also very nice.

I’ve enjoy recent vintages of the mayacamas. Last tasting I felt it was better than the Cabernet. Tasted like a good aged Cabernet that’s had the edges knocked off.

1 Like