1983, which wine to drink today?

I wanted to find a birthyear bottle to celebrate a somewhat significant career event that I am about to have. Question is, which ones would you recommend?
First I thought of Champagne, obviously. Another option would be Sauternes, where apparently 1983 was one of the best vintages for those wines in that region ever.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Chateau Margaux is drinking well right now. Congrats on career event.

2 Likes

83 is a great German vintage. Find a well stored JJ Prum.

1983 Ch Rieussec. A great vintage and drinking beautifully right now. Should not be too hard to find.

Brodie

And Grunhaus. Both made fabulous 1983s.

+1. Also Palmer.

Some great Bordeaux eg Palmer, Ch.Margaux, Evangile, Lafleur, Haut-Brion + LMHB, even Brane-Cantenac …
also CdPape like Vieux Telegraph, Pegau, Bonneau, Clos des Papes, Fortia, Rayas, Beaucastel …
Chave Hermitage, Rostaing La Landonne, Jamet C.brune …
bottle condition is crucial as always …

1 Like

Diamond Creek

Besides the Bordeaux mentioned here '83 is one of my favorite vintages of Cheval Blanc. 83 Pichon Lalande is quite elegant. Also, besides Palmer and Margaux, as a whole I think the Margaux AC did as well/better than '82, I’ve always thought Ruasan Segla was a good value play.
Hard to find, but also a great dry Bdx vintage- I’ve had excellent bottles of LavilleHB and DDC.
Besides Prum and von Schubert, I’ve had really good bottles of Fritz Haag and even von Hovel (not usually a fave).
Good N/ Rhone possibilities as well

Frankly, every estate in Margaux produced a banner wine in 1983 -

1 Like

I second the 83 Cheval Blanc suggestion. Fabulous wine. I also love the LMHB, but it’s a different type of wine - still drinks so young. Cheval closer to maturity imho.

My birthyear as well and it’s a sneaky good one. Some of the best have been mentioned–Margaux gets the most press, but Germany is wonderful and there are nice bottles in a lot of regions.

Pichon-Lalande was great for 25 years, but is now slighly over apogee … unfortunately …

Germans are fantastic, as are almost all Margaux Chateau.

Yquem is excellent and not all that expensive by today’s standards.

Sold mine for $340 shipped just before the covid price hike. Rip

83 has aged gracefully and can reward you with beauty these days. Obviously, once you get to 40+ years of age, you gotta have a back up. Not all bottles will perform. In addition to those already mentioned (Margaux!!) I’ve recently had and loved Gruaud, La Louviere, and Rauzan-Segla

I also really like Rauzan in '83. (Incidentally, I also had a totally gorgeous '86 Rauzan recently.)

1 Like

Thomas,

What estates are you thinking about. I agree with you that from a weather point of view Margaux was particularly favored in 1983, but I was a bit surprised by your comment because I seem to recollect that some famous Margaux estates making excellent wine now seemed were underperforming generally at the time. Am I not right about this or are you thinking about a number of Margauxs that made wonderful 1983s.

Cantenac brown was fantastic recently

1 Like