TN: NV Frédéric Savart / Drémont Père et fils Champagne Éphémère 006 Blanc de Blancs

No base vintage info, no disgorgement date. How is this possible in 2021??? [snort.gif]

Not a bad Champagne by any means but underperforms a bit as there is still a healthy amount of choice in the Côte des Blancs at or below its 38€ price point. The missus was craving for Lilbert as we sipped this, can’t blame her really. Oh well, I’ve had worse disappointments for sure.

• NV Frédéric Savart / Drémont Père et fils Champagne Éphémère 006 Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (4.9.2021)
    Very nice on the nose. Bright, citrusy and saline with notes of torrefaction and buttered toast, it comes off as expressive, detailed and downright delicious. Oh how much I wish I could eat this nose. On the palate you are greeted by the most lively, fine mousse. Beneath is an acidic and energetic wine of great purity. The flavor profile is very classic: green apple, tangy citrus fruits and minerality for days. Unfortunately where things get less hunky-dory is the texture that starts off fine but gets thinner and thinner towards the finish. The wine is very drinkable and refreshing but boy do I feel it would benefit from say 3-4 g/l dosage. It’s a shame - it has everything going for it except the mouthfeel.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thank you for the look! I took a flyer on some 009 so this is helpful. I might have to give mine a lot of age before sampling

FWIW the 009 is 2015 per the retailer, so maybe 006 is 2012?

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say when they give away information so sparingly. As the 009 has been disgorged in Feb 2021 giving it some time in the cellar is probably smart. I see that it is an Extra Brut, I hope there is indeed a couple of grams of sugar!

Popped the 009 tonight and actually found the texture to be the best part, rich and almost unctuous but still refreshing. The bubbles were very fine too–crackling. The palate still needs a bit of development I think but it was nice just for the mouthfeel.

2 Likes

I think Savart is much better known for BdN than BdB.

I did not think the 006 needed any dosage. Maybe the passage of time has helped. Much better wine than the 005.

As these aren’t Fred’s wines and are just disgorged, marketed, and sold by him, you kind of have to throw what you know and expect about Savart out the window.

I was wondering why they didn’t even approach other wines I’ve had from Savart.

Lopa just sent out an offer on the 006 saying: “[2014 vintage; 100% Chardonnay Grand Cru; old vine selection from Avize and Oger; no dosage; 209 cases made]”

From the same offer: “Ephemere is a parternship between the Dremont family that owns the vines and Frederic Savart who makes the wines”
True? False?

Making the wine can mean a lot of things. Things can certainly change and maybe upcoming releases will see more involvement from Fred, but the releases I know of were basically just Fred aging and disgorging someone else’s wine. It is a way for growers to make money for investment much more quickly than pretty much any other way.

Not necessarily. My favourite champagne of his is the mont des chrétiens, which is a BdB and a stupendous wine.

The éphémères is pure negoce. Think he even buys the champagne already made and just disgorges it himself so it’s a bit of an odd beast.