Bella Oaks - Save the date, Sept 21

I just got an impressively-fancy piece of snail mail from Bella Oaks, announcing that their inaugural offering would be going out on September 21 of this year, consisting of their 2018 CS. That’s it, that’s all the information. Given the obvious cost of the mailer I hope that means I’m getting an allocation - the card itself didn’t say.

Anyone else get this? Or perhaps something more informative?

edit

CT reviews (there are reviews already?) claim that there won’t be allocations and that this release is going to be a first-come, first-served affair. Hoo boy, get those keyboard-fingers limbered up!

1 Like

I got the snail mail piece and a couple emails touting the upcoming release. Looking like it’s going to be in the $250-275 per bottle range.

1 Like

Nigel is on a roll!

1 Like

Got it as well. I don’t think it’ll go as quick as it seems with the case production and price. It will sell out but I don’t see it being as rapid as some think. I’m in though!

At $275/ea, I would think the same - but then, Dalla Valle MDV sold out in an hour or two at $550/ea so who knows. Nigel is hot these days so it wouldn’t surprise me.

(I never did learn what the production numbers on MDV were - likely not 800 cases!)

I received it as well, signed up for the list back in May. My wife and I tasted the wine at Wheeler Farms a few weeks ago and it was very good. We had just tasted through quite a bit of Accendo also at Wheeler Farms so unfortunately my notes were a little thin, however, I’ll be 100% in.

The print collateral at the tasting was top notch too, which I always appreciate since one of my first jobs was working in a print shop.

1 Like

Checks all the boxes for me … really enjoyed Heitz Bella Oaks over the years, David Abreu and Nigel Kinsman involved … seems like an easy buy. And would I rather have 2 of these or 1 Colgin Cariad (which came out yesterday at something like $550/btl)? Lol…

It seems like a very high price for a 1st release. Even at 250, psychologically it’s easier to bite on that. 275 seems too high imo.

1 Like

Signed up pretty late (last month), didn’t get the snail mail.

2 Likes

I was all in but after a few pricey wishlist requests last month I’ve decided to pass on this one.

I’m looking at this as a way to experience something of Kinsman’s sensibilities without waiting for years to get an allocation or paying the extravagant secondary markup - especially from the fabulous 2018 season. Different vineyard to be sure (not to mention MR), but at least Nigel gets to work his magic. To me that justifies the price tag at least this time. We’ll find out if the wine justifies its own price.

1 Like

Yes, I too thought it was a very expensive “save the date” notification. I wonder if the actual offer mailer will be just as lavish.

2 Likes

I tasted the wine at Wheeler with Shae a couple weeks ago. Just to confirm a few things, price is $275 a bottle, offerings will be for 3 or 6 bottles (at least that’s what the physical order form offered) and the first release will be first come, first served. But most importantly, the wine is flat out awesome. It’s distinct from the Kinsman lineup (maybe even more approachable currently given that its such a delicate wine), but I could also argue its an extension of the Kinsman line up as you can clearly taste the consistency in the winemaking. Nothing is extracted and the wine is clearly speaking for itself. I can certainly see how some people would be hesitant to shell out $275 a bottle and commit to at least 3 bottles, but having tasted it, it was an easy buy. For what it’s worth this will be the most expensive wine in my collection. I do not believe there is a 2020 vintage so I also keep trying to tell myself that my credit card gets a break soon.

6 Likes

I was hoping that the first digit in the price would be a 1 rather than a 2 and that there wouldn’t be a three-bottle minimum.

1 Like

same I was hoping for the exact same thing

1 Like

I would much rather the price start with a 1, but in all sincerity, realistically how many Napa Cabernets of similar quality with case productions under 500 are starting with a 1 these days? MacDonald? Di Costanzo? I’m certainly ready to eat crow if there are and my wallet will be happier as well.

On the fence buying this…$275/btl isn’t cheap.

Even though it’s expensive for a first release, but I’m really digging Nigel’s winemaking style and plan on diverting funds from M. Etain over to this.

Looking forward to the release.

Whats his wine style? I purchased some of his Kinsmen but it’s too young to drink.

2 Likes

Feeling quite fortunate I was given the chance to pre-order. Order in!

If my experience is indicative, it appears when you order you will have the chance to either place a one-time order, or place a “standing order” to order the same number of bottles each year, ahead of the general first-come-first-serve release.

1 Like