2019 M Etain

Dear Frederick,

We are delighted to announce the upcoming 12th release of our Monsieur Étain Cabernet Sauvignon. As always, this 2019 vintage has been produced entirely from grapes grown on the J.J. Cohn Estate in Rutherford.

You will receive a written invitation soon with more details about this release, which opens for you on Friday, October 1st, at Noon Eastern. Orders will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note: past vintages have sold out in a matter of days.

Are there multiple waves with this release ?

I know others who have purchased in the past and didn’t get an email yet, so I guess there must be a wave or two?

I signed up two years ago and have never purchased and got the email.

I’ve been buying The Tin Man for the past 5-6 vintages and haven’t gotten any email yet.

For me this is one of my must buy wines.

Never had a less than stellar bottle of this…

Been on Scarecrow list since 2007, but M. Etain since only last year. That said, I got the email already.

I just got the email, I’ve bought the past 3 vintages. I don’t recall there being any waves (or really see why they would need it - I want to say I got an offer within a year of signing up).

$250 a bottle, $55 price increase. Say hello to $500 bottles of Crow in the spring.

Yikes.

M. Etain used to be one of my favorites under $200, but at $250, I’ll be passing moving forward.

Now to decide on whether Scarecrow is worth $500…
[head-bang.gif]

Yikes - from what I remember, shipping costs are pretty high too for a 2 pack. I love the wine and was stretching my high-end but at $250, think I might be out on this going forward now too.

The wine never interested me even at $195 and it’s even an easier pass at a ridiculous $250.

1 Like

Yeah this is an easy pass at $250. Split a 6 pack last year with a friend with the low cost shipping option. This is a hard hard pass this year. Scarecrow at $500+ will be a difficult decision. I am inclined to buy to be able to get the library offer the next year but beyond that I’m likely walking away with what I have already bought.

1 Like

28% a bottle is insulting. People will buy it though and until then…

1 Like

This is just speculation on my part, but do folks think that this increase can be attributed to Scarecrow not bottling 2020 (at least I think Scarecrow was one of the wineries not bottling the 2020 vintage)? I typically don’t track pricing, but this seems like a pretty large year-over-year increase.

I don’t believe so and many higher-end Napa Valley producers are not bottling a 2020 vintage due to the fires. Thankfully it’s not as insane like Hidden Ridge’s Impassable Mountain to the Immortal Estate equivalent haha.

1 Like

I might pass on this and bite on Bella Oaks instead. If anyone wants my allocation please DM me.

Ugh, I was afraid of that price jump.

Just checked and my wave is on 10/1.

The last two months have been especially damaging to my AMEX, so will have to think on this one for sure…

And my money is on the main bottling skipping $500 and going straight to $550.

I think I’ll pass if it’s now $250/bottle - especially for 3 of them. I’d rather buy a single bottle with some age off Benchmark that I can enjoy much, much sooner than I’d be opening 2019s.

As much as I love Scarecrow, that might be the breaking point for me.