TN: 2015 Fontodi Chianti Classico (Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG)

This just might be the wine I’ve drunk the most in my vinous journey so far. During my early Chianti Classico phase it quickly became one of my favorites along with many lighter, more acid-driven wines. The first time I had it is something I cannot forget, or rather what happened later.

We had rented a villa in Tuscany in May 2011 for a week. We had dinner in Arezzo one night and I spotted this wine on the list, priced 18€ which was pretty close to what you would pay at retail at the time. We ordered it and loved it despite our pasta arrabiata being way too spicy for it. I don’t know what was in that sauce but around midnight me and my girlfriend both woke up with the most severe stomach pain of our lives. I still remember the visual of seeing her lying on the floor, screaming. It was so horrible that we actually feared for a while that that was it for us given that we were in the middle of nowhere in the Tuscan countryside. Alas, we’re still here, able to enjoy this wine again and again. After a decade it’s still a great value and maintains its powerful yet authentic style.

• 2015 Fontodi Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (10.9.2021)
    Very closed and angry at first, took close to two hours in the decanter to get going. Smells smoky, ashy and very savory with abundant sour cherry, beef jerky and leather. As can be expected this is full and richly textured, packing quite a punch. You can sense the heat of the vintage but still it is most recognizable and has plenty acidity and ripe, grippy tannins. I have always enjoyed this wine after it has settled a few years post release and this vintage is no different. Very enjoyable with and without a steak and as reliable as any wine when it comes to keeping the missus happy. I love how it maintains its trademark savory character despite the very hot vintage.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes