What to order on this Alsatian list?

Any gems here? I’d panic buy the Ostertag Heissenberg if forced to make the decision myself—this is not an area of comfort for me at all. Prefer white, sub $100 Euros. (And way less than that great!) Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Pretty darned reasonable pricing. Lots of options. Staying under $100 I might go Trimbach CFE, but there are so many choices.

The 2010 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile would be irresistible to me at 70 euros.

1 Like

The 08 CFE is drinking very well also. I’d probably be happy with the Weinbach Cuvee Theo. Had it recently and was excellent.

That is one great list! And as David indicated, pretty reasonable pricing. Assuming it’s accurate/up-to-date, I could definitely do some damage there :sunglasses:

1 Like

The Coche, Roulot, Roumier, Rousseau to name a few…

I am ready to move into this restaurant.

2 Likes

This is a wine philosophy question as much as a what do you like question. Do you want something that you know and love or do you want to be adventurous. I hate to admit it, but I actually agree with the flavor-hater Monsieur Cooper on this one. Best wine list have seen in a long time. My thoughts are:

1. If I wanted to get something I know I would like, I would be very happy with the Trimbach Fred. Emile. On Monday, I happened to find a 375 of 2001 CFE that had fallen behind a box that was itself hidden behind an extra wine rack I pulled into my cellar because I own too much wine that was sitting on the floor. I can’t wait to drink it because I love the wine. The Z-H Clos Windsbuhl is also very nice. I had the 1992 Gewurz 2 months ago and it was excellent. The riesling should be likewise.

2. But I would get none of those because I want to try new things and there are some GREAT deals on producers I have never had. I have wanted to try the Coche Meursault for a long time (I have had the Coche “appellation” Bourgogne and it was outstanding) so I would probably go for that but out of your price range. However, you have other Coche whites in your range. The Roulot Meursault is a bit over your limit but I have never had Roulot, so that is in consideration.

3. On the red side, I would probably go with the Roumier Chambolle Musigny (or, as my friend from Tennessee calls it, Cham Bowling Moose in Ye) to cross that off my list.

4. And now for the special treat. If you want a dessert wine and you are willing to blow your budget, go for the 2007 Zind Humbrecht Clos Jebsal Trie Special. I am told that it is one step above the Clos Jebsal SGN, which I listed in my bucket list thread as something everyone should try once. I wrote this note about the 2007 vintage of the SGN and Salil claims that the Trie is better:

• 2007 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Jebsal Sélection de Grains Nobles - France, Alsace (9/4/2017)
    From a 375, pop and pour after all sorts of other things. This is an exceptional wine. Not quite at the level of the 1998, which was one of the greatest dessert wines I have ever had, but still in the stratosphere. Bracing acidity is a perfect balance for the honey-like sweetness. Extremely complex palate with a mixture of apricot and pineapple and botrytis flavors mixed in with the acidity. I know some people claim that botrytis itself has no flavor, but you know what I mean.

Extremely long finish. Caresses the mouth without being sugary sweet. Still very young without showing signs of age. No caramel and no nuttiness. Will probably last 25 years or more. Love this wine. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

If you want to drink something Alsatian from a smaller producer, I think the Albert Boxler Sommerberg and particularly the versions D and E (assuming there’s a mix up with the producer on the D) are phenomenal.
Lots of tension, orchard fruit, warm pebbles.

I’m in Alsatian heaven! I’m a Gewurtz fan so I would go for that 2010 Josmeyer Hengst. But so many options here! I’d definitely go for one of those SGN half bottles, too.

1 Like

Great advice. Thanks all.

The Bachelet Monnot Puligny 17 is drinking well at the moment and that’s about retail over here in the UK.

But tbh to drink anything other than Alsace would be criminal, you could pin stick that list and get a blooming good wine at a virtual give-away price.

Those prices and selections are amazing! Older Chave for <€200? Magnum of 2005 Trimbach CFE for €130? Really, you could throw a dart at this menu and hit something great, but that Roulot Meursault Luchets would work well with most of the food and is just a smidge over €100.

Side note, Colmar is one of my favorite cities in France. You just gave me a great reason to go back.

[wow.gif] Jay is recommending an entire dinner of my types of wines. flirtysmile [cheers.gif] champagne.gif [rofl.gif]

For whites under 100, there are so many choices, but I would have to really look at Cotat, Dureuil Janthial (I have never had their wines, but William Kelley really raves about them), Coche-Dury (before passing on these, check wine-searcher for prices in US), or Roulot (a bit over 100, but again, check wine-searcher for prices in the US).

If you want to stay with wines from Alsace, everyone is right about the wines from Trimbach, but I am also a big fan of Albert Mann (his Schlossberg is fabulous). Weygandt-Metzler Importing Then, after you find you love the wines of Albert Mann, go visit the estate. It is not far from Colmar.

I hate to say it, but you need to raise your budget and go with the Rousseau Mazis. You will never find it at retail for less than double and probably triple the price.

Yeah, this is not a list to skimp on. Several excellent burgundy choices you wouldn’t find in the states at double the price, retail let alone restaurant list. Not to mention the Chave prices, both blanc and rouge.

Thanks again. Definitely going to order something from Alsace. This goes down 9/21 and will let you know where I land (or may report that the list online is woefully out of date!).
As usual, Berserkers are crazy helpful with this sort of thing. I may just throw another list at you all in the next few days.

+1. My eye was also caught by Boxler, a very great grower.

Dan Kravitz

The Deiss Altenberg field blend looks really good if you’d like to stay in Alsace.

Wine Enthusiast
2013 Vintage Tasted: Nov 2018 95 points
La Revue du Vin de France
2013 Vintage Tasted: Jan 2017 17.5 out of 20
Bettane et Desseauve
2013 Vintage 18.5 out of 20

Wine Enthusiast 95 points Here’s their note:

A warm and sunny notion of ripe yellow pear and baked apple plays aromatically on the nose. The merest sniff of light blossom honey adds an edge of richness. The medium-sweet palate seems to be carried by ethereal lemon-spiked baked pear. This is fluid and almost viscous, but also fresh and concentrated. There is something rounded and balm-like about this and one is reminded almost of a fruitful caress. What a lovely expression of all that is special about Alsace.