2019 Di Co Live

I had the chance to try over lunch with Erin. It’s phenomenal. Truly a step up compared to 17 & 18 (never tried 16). Can’t beat it for the price. Great family and great wine. Loaded up! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Is there anything you might be able to compare it to? I went deep on ‘18 but haven’t tried one yet.

1 Like

I actually had a 2018 last night as a release day refresher. For a comparison, I might say a darker fruited Corison. The fruit got ripe but not over-ripe. There’s the same feeling of restraint with lively acidity and spice that compliments the fruit and adds genuine complexity instead of smacking you in the face with wood. Much better after 3 hours in the decanter.

Some more info:

Today we release our newest wine:

2019 DI CO Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - $65 per bottle

Enjoy reduced ground shipping on 12-bottle case orders. $20 to the West, $40 to the East. Full details at the end of this email.

DI CO Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2019
Hand-harvested: October 12th, 2019
Élevage: 22 months in 30% new French oak barrels
475 cases produced
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Single vineyard sourced
$65 per bottle

THE VINTAGE: Late spring rains encouraged lush, vigorous canopy perfect for shading and cooling the grapes through the long, warm summer. Even maturation on the vine gave our Cabernet dark color and tannins with finesse and complexity.

THE VINEYARD: DI CO comes solely from a site at the base of Mt. Veeder, in Oak Knoll’s far western reaches. We are able to spend more time there than at any other of our vineyards, and walking those rows day after day means we get to learn the site intimately. Older vines like these have their own personality, and only time spent will really teach you what they need. By 2019, that time spent paid off handsomely. More than ever before, the vineyard was dialed in, set up to make the best possible expression of DI CO Cabernet Sauvignon.

WINEMAKING: The most important aspect of DI CO is its intentionality. We make DI CO with the same care and quality as our Di Costanzo wines. Sustainable farming. Hand-harvesting. Minimal intervention in the cellar. Unfiltered and unfined. Our winemaker’s full focus. We do not declassify lesser wines to make a second label. We do not purchase bulk juice to blend into a lower tier. We are making a special, hand-crafted Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon of a high caliber, that people can purchase by the case, to enjoy often and with friends.

PROFILE: Serious, and seriously delicious. DI CO flaunts a vibrant, blackberry color in the glass, mirrored by a brambly, berry-bright aroma. DI CO’s fruit profile is balanced by a savory, gravelly spice, infusing the bouquet with bold, dark intensity. Tannins are polished. The palate provides dark chocolate, black plums and blueberries, trail dust, leather, and sweet herbs. Age 7-10+ years. Decant liberally. Best with food and good company.

Fans of DI CO in past vintages will recognize and love the wine they remember, but will find in 2019 a wine that is revealing itself more generously in its youth. Still classically styled. Still serious. But with a finesse that elegantly completes the wine.

2019 DI CO Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - $65 per bottle
“Very serious and potent second wine that would give many top bottlings a run for their money. 91-94 points” Antonio Galloni, Vinous

With our thanks for your order and your support,
Erin & Massimo Di Costanzo

I have not tasted the 2019 but have enjoyed the 16, 17 and 18 vintages of Di Co. I like the Farella vineyard most of the Di Costanzo wines with their Montecillo close behind.
Tough to say what other wine I might find comparable to the Di Co. My interest in Napa cabernet took off in the 1990s when I enjoyed a fair amount of cabernets from producers such as Groth, Merryvale, Whitehall Lane, Forman, Staglin, Pine Ridge and Heitz. While I would not go so far to say the Di Co is similar to those wines, I will say that the wine reminds me of those wines and why I became interested in Napa cabernet in the first place. They are distinctive, and balanced with a savory/herbal side along with good fruit, and, perhaps most importantly, quite delicious. The 2013 DiCostanzo Farella reminded me of Dominus from the early 1990s. That wine is why I became a fan and supporter. Add to that: very nice people and attentive customer service.

2 Likes

I tried my first one of these ('18) from all the recommendations on the best-$50-cab thread several months ago. It somehow reminded me of my vague recollection of Chateau Montelena from many, many years ago.

Thank you! Loved sharing this '19 with you and the family a few weeks back. Really glad to get this wine into cellars and wine glasses, Massimo and I are both really proud of this vintage.

@HoosJustinG, “a darker fruited Corison” is high praise, I like that perspective. Get your palate ready :slight_smile:

Full 12-pack allocation ordered! :partying_face:

First time order-er here, based on Beserker recos. Interested & excited to try. Sounds like the '19 DiCo is a bit more approachable young than the earlier vintages?

17 was approachable. 18, not so much. It was much better after being opened and then drank on the second day

1 Like

Thanks for your interest, Tom!

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: we spent a lot of effort and time refining choices about farming, canopy management, watering, hang times, all with the expressed goal to keep the classic structure we like so much from this site, but to manage the tannins to show a more polished style. We think we achieved that in 2019.

3 Likes

Super excited for Thursday! And I very much meant it as a compliment :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got a 6 pack; might crack a 16 or one of the older Farella next month in the obx.

1 Like

First time ordering-I will place an order for 6 later today.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, Erin! I think a conversation about that tannin management topic would be fascinating. Best of luck to the Di Costanzo team with this release!

1 Like

High praise (and well deserved).

1 Like

In for 6

1 Like

FYI I’ve been describing myself as a darker fruited Corsion for years but I’m cool with the '18 Di Co sharing that as well. Birds of a feather and all that. champagne.gif

1 Like

Yesterday went for a tasting of the Carter 19’s and followed by Di Co ‘17 paired with an in & out burger. I really have enjoyed Carter Cellars over the past years. But palates change…

In comparison, I found the Carter to have less of a floral nose. Red fruits and oak are heavy in the Carter lineup. Di Co much less red fruit. Tannins in Di Co are much more gripping. I found Carter to rely on fruit wave and somewhat more one-dimensional in comparison.

I find the Di Co to be much more versatile, but wouldn’t reach for it if looking for heavy fruit. Cheers

2 Likes

For the next release (Winter) can someone describe the differences/characteristics between Farella/Montecillo/Caldwell?