Wine dinner + crappy photos; Bdx rosé, Champagne, Muscadet, old Barolo, cult Cali, Sauternes and Port

WE HOSTED ANOTHER WINE DINNER FOR CHARITY - (9/11/2021)

A small gathering, including some old friends and acquaintances as well as new. A generous donation to a local charity. We hosted, and as usual featured classic pairings. We included anniversary and (near) birth year wines for the guests.
Arrival, with cheese and charcuterie
We started with a rosé from bordeaux, then sabered a rosé champagne for fun. Perfect pairing with a large cheese plate (+ honey with almonds and yuzu marmalade) and charcuterie.

• 2016 Château Le Puy Francs Côtes de Bordeaux Rose-Marie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Francs Côtes de Bordeaux
    An unusual rosé. I believe it’s Merlot. I really liked this as well as the first bottle I opened months ago. It’s a wine that drinks like a cross between a red wine and a rosé. Fresh and delicious, very bold. I’ve also tried the '18, but my first bottle of that was bretty.
  • NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne
    Pinot-heavy NV Rosé. Fresh and delicious, if it’s not already my house rosé, it should be.

Oysters and muscadet
Fresh kumomotos and kushis, with shredded fresh horseradish and lemon. Perfect pairing.

• 2014 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie
    Still fresh and delicious. Very fruity for a muscadet, but still crisp and mineraled. I’ve purchased and consumed more of this wine than all my other muscadet combined.

Osetra Caviar and champagne
What champagne to open was my toughest decision. This worked well, but drink up!

• 1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires - France, Champagne
    My last bottle three years ago was fantastic, and I thought it would last years to come. I was wrong. While this is still an outstanding wine, if this bottle was any indication, it’s at the tail end of its drinking window. Luscious mouthfeel, and it still has a generous bead. Complex nose and palate. Orchard fruit plus a lot of new oxidative notes that were more subtle three years ago. Nuts, cider, and almost a sherry character trying to sneak in. This is one of my last four bottles of three cases, and I’ve been enjoying these for many years. I’ll finish my last three this year.

Foie gras and what else? Sauternes
Another perfect pairing, and an affordable world-class wine.

• 2001 Château Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Once again, Suduiraut shows they bottled liquid gold in 2001. This has consistently been a favorite sauternes, and I recently back-filled quite a few.

The last of the summer black truffles
I was surprised how good these summer truffles were being so late in the season. Generously shaved on fresh pasta with artery clogging amounts of butter plus Il Poggione Tuscan olive oil.

• 1974 Fontanafredda Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    I treated this like I treat all of my older nebbiolo. Carefully decanted on a decanting stand, keeping it perfectly clear. Poured back into the cleaned bottle after four or five hours.
    The sweet fruited palate saved this wine. The nose was extremely dusty, almost trying to mimic a corked wine without the TCA. The group loved it, but since I’ve had much better previous bottles as well as other vintages from the 60’s and 70’s, I was a bit disappointed. Still, I can’t complain about a nearly 50 year old wine that is still alive.

• 2000 Renaissance Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Claret Prestige - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, North Yuba
    This was my only bottle, and that’s a shame. Old school California, rich but subtle, with quite the acidic cut. I was worried due to past seepage around the cork, but it was an over-filled bottle. I decanted out an unusual firm sediment plug in the neck. The rest poured clear. This is a delicious wine begging for food.

Stilton and Port
A perfect end to the evening. The cheese and wine were exquisite, and meant for each other.

• 2000 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    My first of several bottles I purchased in 2003. Delicious, it shows no age whatsoever. This will not only be drinking well when my grand kids are aged, but the way things are going in the world, it may outlast our species.

It’s a lot of work, but we love hosting these wine dinners. They generate generous donations to local charities. It’s always fun to share my hobby/obsession, and help the community as well.