TNs--17 Louis Michel, 2020 Tempier Rose, 2016 Cadence Tapteil, 2012 Prager, others

2017 Louis Michel Chablis Les Grenouilles

Picked one up to try–I’ve had next to no Grenouilles in my career. Tried it. Jumped on the site and bought 5 more. I saw William’s note on this and respect his palate very much, but the bottle I tried wasn’t the bottle he tried [grin.gif]. My bottle was stunning. On first opening, the purity of the lime at the front and the mineral at the back is beguiling. A couple days later, it has rounded off some but hasn’t lost a jot of its persistence at the back of the mouth, though it added some pear notes and green apple. This wine is almost searing to me in its individuality and character. John Gilman gave a 94 and I have no reason to argue with that score except to add a plus sign. Really strong contender for WOTY for me.

2020 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rose

I know, a crime to open this early. Well, it’s very attractive even this early folks. An almost fruity barnyard nose gives way to a really cleanly focused palate and feel right through your whole mouth. For my own tastes, this is the best of these in at least 7 years and I am very happy I have more to track over the next decade or so.

2016 Cadence Tapteil Vineyard Red

Lots of ripe plum, beef, blackberry nose, this has palate replays and a very small hint of red licorice at the back. Big wine without being gigantic, but make sure you have some meat to go with this, it’ll overwhelm lesser dishes. I’ve tried very few of these before and it was good to get another reference point.

2012 Prager Hinter den Burg Federspiel Gruner Veltliner

Big thanks to my close friends Lynn and Jon for opening this, which they carted back from their trip to Austria. I have said before that for me, Prager’s hallmark is precision, and it is my fave producer of Austrian Riesling and Gruner. That is in sublime evidence here, as floral top notes curl around a sort of herbed apple and lime sense. In the mouth, though, while reflecting a tiny elevation in sweetness that colours this vintage for me, it keeps that fully in balance with freshness and everything else the wine has to give you. I savoured every sip. 93 and also in the WOTY discussion

2013 Marchand-Tawse NSG 1er Cru Les Corvees Pages

Only decanted for about 30 minutes. I told Jon to hold on to this and that he and Lynn should try some the next day and see what happens. On this night, this also underscored its vintage—a vintage in which, for me, I think you had to get the oak treatment exactly right and not sure that happened here. Very crisp and tangy small red berry fruit and there is some earth and cocoa bits on the nose, but it has just that li’l level of too-much-shrillness and even with time (and it did start to smooth out in the glass), I think the oak signature is always going to be a mildly distracting component of this wine. Take this with a grain of salt as NSG is still not my favourite commune and I’m very picky about what and who I like from there.

2017 Chateau Coutet

No formal note, but this was a very fun and bouncy wine from a halfsie, plenty of pineapple and sweet citrus accents but still also had the Coutet lightness and carry somewhat in play. Good value for me here.

2011 Rhys Horseshoe Syrah

My friend Tim opened this for us to try. I like that there is still lots of energy and ruggedness here, with a firm mineral component to red and black fruit. I actually think this still needs another 2-3 years to finish coming into focus—it’s open enough, but for me it still tastes energetically young. Enjoyed it now and for what it should continue to become.

Maluhia

Mike

1 Like

2011 Rhys Horseshoe Syrah opened tonight was as described. Lively with red and black fruit, hung meat, minerals and whole cluster. In a good place now with some upside. I