Bevan fall release

Just got the email.

I appreciate that they are holding the line on pricing. Ontogeny is still $95 and the SVDs are still $195. They mentioned WA reviews but didn’t give details. Anyone want to share details?

Prior releases are on their website for anyone to purchase right?

Yes, for what’s left from ‘18. I picked some more ‘18 myself.

In for:
6x Ontogeny
3x Tench
3x Wildfoote Vixen

Is the 2019 EE anything like the 2015 EE? I had it a few months back and it ranks as my WOTY so far…total hedonism in bottle!!

Re: pricing-
I did note a change in their website pricing for the ‘18 Dr. Crane & ‘18 Calixtro even though those wines are sold out and the 19’s aren’t released yet. They both seem to have increased from $195 to $350. I haven’t had any of my Dr Cranes yet but Calixtro is my favorite bottling, so that would be just my luck!

Where did you see the price increase.

On the “order wine” page once you’re signed in to your account. Like I mentioned, the wines aren’t available, so the change in listing price may be anomalous.

If I had to guess I would suspect that you are seeing a future library price when they make a couple cases available in a few years.

I can’t think of a better made Napa Cabernet based blend at $95 and under than Ontogeny especially when you factor in the vineyard sources, wine making team and quality of wine.
Some others are very close, but Ontogeny the past few years has stood alone. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

That’s the one I’m interested in purchasing although I’d rather wait and find it locally so I can avoid those pesky shipping costs. I tried the 2018 blend at their SoCal tasting event earlier this year and thought it was really tasty.

I agree. I have 18 Ontogeny in my cellar next to 18 Realm The Bard. It will be interesting to compare. The Bard used to be almost the same price, but it’s crept up.

I’m still interested din scores for the 19s. The 18s scored really well. Just wondering if the 19s are in the same league.

I’ve found the 18 ontogeny to be underwhelming. Needs a few more years

Strange world where I am able to get allocation for great wine, and the ease of access gives me pause. I will likely buy a few bottles —case of Ontogeny, and 2 of the single vineyards to taste and share with friends. From everything I’ve read seems like a good buy.

For those who have had Bevan, is it approachable early or do you need to lay down? I have read mixed reviews.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, most of the Bevan wines need some time in the bottle. You could always try to decant, but some of the wines might be in a deep sleep so it’s not even worth attempting at this point in time.

However, the 2019 vintage appears to be more accessible early and I believe the Bevan wines will follow that trend as well.

It’s one of the reasons I skipped the 2018 Ontogeny and I’m looking forward to see how the 2019 vintage compares to it.

In the last year I’ve had 14 and 15 Bevan SVDs and they were superb. Especially the 15 EE Tench which is one of my all time fav Napa cabs. You want at least 5 years on them.

1 Like