Quality Rose?

Hi everyone,

GuildSomm just put out an interesting podcast interview with MW Elizabeth Gabay discussing rosé. It got me wondering about high quality rosé, particularly the stuff not meant for immediate consumption. Thought I’d reach out to the community to see about your recommendations. Ones on my radar include Heredia’s GR Rosado, the Bandol biggies (Tempier, Pradeaux, Pibarnon), Domaines Ott, Chateau Simone. I know Musar makes a Rose that seems interesting.

Can’t imagine this hasn’t been covered, but I couldn’t find quite what I was looking for. So what are your favorites?

Thanks,
Noah

Wow, there’s really so many good ones - and while there are reliable producers year-in and out, there are also a lot of great rosé wines that are lightning in a bottle. It’s always a good idea to build a relationship with a local shop so you can find those based on their recommendations.

Some of my favorite categories:

Cabernet Franc Rose from the Loire
Spatburgunder Rose from Germany
Etna Rosato
Txakolina Rosado from the Basque country
and while I don’t see it often, I’ve enjoyed the Malbec Rosados I’ve had from Argentina.

Always an interesting question and one that also sparks a good conversation. To me, the question is defining ‘quality’, and you’ve mentioned that you are looking at ‘ageworthiness’ as a key component. Knowing that, I think you are dead on with looking at the best of Bandol as well as LDH and perhaps some other Spanish producers making roses in that same style.

I find that many on here do not look at ‘rose’ as a serious category, unless it is the sparkling kind. Many seem to find it nice to have on hand during warmer months but not as ‘serious’ a wine as others, and I personally disagree. I enjoy roses year round, whether they be from the Loire, Italy or many from CA.

Cheers

1 Like

My personal favorite is Fracois Cotat’s Chavignol. It’s in a completely different style from Bandol, it ages beautifully.

I think there is an entire thread on this topic within the past year or two.

Tempier Bandol is meant for aging.

I think it’s time for Todd finally to add that search function. [berserker.gif]

1 Like

I understand and have watched rose’ being made. How does someone create one that is meant for aging? It’s a pretty simple process.

For good US stuff I like Bedrock a lot it will last 3-4 years probably, so not super ageable but does age a bit. 2018 salt vine is singing as well.

For Europe - obviously Provence stuff like Tempier Bandol is great but I’d highlight Vacheron and Baudry in the Loire and PYCM in Burgundy. Vacheron in particular is great. I haven’t tried Cotat - mentioned above - but I’m sure it’s solid as well.

If we accept that whites can be aged, we must also accept that rosées can be aged.

I accept that they can be aged, but there were some posts saying some are meant to be aged. I just wondered if folks knew something I didn’t. Pick time, grape used, skin contact time, etc.

My favorite domestic roses that I think actually improve with a year or more aging are: L’aventure, Ceritas, Arnot-Roberts, and Enfield Foot Trod Rose.

Although this topic is well hashed over in previous threads, I’ll add that one of my new favorite domestic roses is Adam’s sabelli-Frisch flame tokay, especially the 2018. One might argue it’s more of an extended maceration pink varietal, but it’s quite delicious and complex. Entirely unique.

Also in the same vein, another berserker-made wine that deserves mention is Vincent’s (dark pink/reddish) Pinot gris. Fantastic and flirts along the borders of natural wine, rose and serious Oregon terroir-driven wines…

1 Like

I just find that rose tends to be an afternoon quaffing wine in our house, thrown back on hot days, so not even in really in situations where top quality would matter, if the bottle is finished in 10 minutes. My main rule of thumbs are to buy current vintages, drink them young and chilled, and don’t let them oxidize. I favor Provence in general.

Last week I had a 2008 Tondonia Gran Reserva rosado that blew my mind away, I think that in a double blind I would have never guessed that was a rosè, probably I would have go for Burgundy. We drank it for over an hour and it never stopped evolving and gaining complexity. The only problem is that the price got a little bit crazy in the US, but for €30 at a restaurant in Rioja it felt like one of the biggest bargains I’ve ever had

Rub it in.
You bring up a good topic. Many of my favorite “roses” are more like light reds.

1 Like

Which begs the question - define ‘quality’? Does it mean age worthy? Dies it mean ‘with substance’?

Cheers

Yes, no or both. Consider my post thread drift. I’m not looking for wines to age 20 years regardless of color.

We drink a lot of rose throughout the year, and they can be serious wines. However, I just don’t like aged rose normally. I’ve had them, but prefer them for their freshness, vibrancy, and food-friendliness when young.