Supermarket wine: Sociando Mallet 2014

The yearly Foire aux vins at the supermarket chain Intermarché in France usually has nothing of interest, at least to me, at least in my neck of La France Profonde’s woods. Yesterday, however, doing our weekly trip to our Intermarché, which is about a 10k trip, but does have Chateau des Tours on the way, there was a 2014 Sociando Mallet for only 23 Euros on the shelf. I have a fondness for the 14s I have tasted, which did not yet include Sociando Mallet. Despite the fact that it is practically lese-majesté for me to be drinking a bordeaux here in the land of Southern Rhone wines and that a 14 Sociando is probably way too young, I took a flier. And, after a six hour airing, it was more than worth the peck. Definitely too young, but showing nicely and it might even be ready in less than 20 years. I’d recommend it.

4 Likes

You got four thanks what higher praise can there be? I looked it up in WS Pro no Sociando Mallet for us.

1 Like

Sociando turned out an excellent 2014. I bought more of this and 2014 Lanessan than any other Bordeaux in that vintage. Pricing was stoopid low in futures and even on release.

Your note is spot on. It’s a Bordeaux drinker’s Bordeaux, just so solid.

This is on offer in a few places, but not for $20

Anything under $30 is a great price for this wine.

Yeah, but only now do I get responses. Thanks, guys. I’ll sleep better tonight.

It’s plein vendange here, by the way.

I would be shocked if you can get it now for 30 and under. I bought it in futures, and then on release was averaging between $28-$30 per bottle. That was a steal. If you see it at that price, grab a case and run with it, as fast as you can. If you don’t like it, I will buy it off you

Got 6 Mags. Happy with that.
Have to wait 20 yrs. Will be great fore sure.