Stony Hill Inflation Alert

Still on the Stony Hill allocation list…logged in to see latest offering…yikes!!

Chard is $75/btl
Cab is $150/btl

I looked up last order after we visited in 2017-

Chard was $48
Cab was $70

We also got 20% off of these prices…

New owners = New Price

Guess I’ll buy up some older vintages of Stony Hill Cab, thanks for the update.

yup, I choked at the price increase - that’s insane

2 Likes

what vintage should I look out for? Never had one and it looks like a fleeting opportunity to snag one. I know Howard really likes them

2 Likes

I loved the 2011 Cab I had recently (https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3329913#p3329913) and the 2011 Chardonnays I purchased on release I just had WAY too early, wish I had kept one.

2 Likes

Spent money to buy the brand…gotta get that ROI.

1 Like

Indeed. They aren’t even doing a slow-recoup of that investment - jumping right in!

1 Like

I’d love to be in these pricing strategy meetings. I’m not saying what they did won’t generate more revenue. I just want to be a fly on the wall.

Yeah. “So we invested a lot of money. Let’s triple the price. Ready, GO”

2 Likes

Wait for the new label and logo. 100% guaranteed part of the rebranding

1 Like

These events are God’s way of telling you to get off of a list.

6 Likes

For all the old-schoolness of SH, the first vintage of Cabernet they made was 2005.

That doesn’t mean it’s not good (I’ve never had their cab), but it did surprise me.

To be fair, it’s only double.

Also, the wines were probably underpriced given SH’s prior position as way under the radar. I’m not saying that it’s necessarily good optics to double that quickly, but they probably looked at the wines relative to their peers and realized it was way under market.

1 Like

Amen to this. There will be some easier wine list cuts next year with increases like this.

To be fair, I really like what I have had, but so far I have only had them on the younger side. The oldest one I have drunk is a 2007 that I had in 2014. I liked it very much, thought it was the style of Cal. Cab. I like, but still found it quite primary and in need of age. I am trying to age the ones I have.

1 Like

The Chard is the star and it’s up a little over 50%. I wonder if they’ll still give a discount for people who make the trek?.. or if they’ll put in a helipad and visits will only be permitted by helicopter, to keep the riff-raff, er, wine-lovers out.

Dan Kravitz

Hey, who knows? Perhaps bringing on Jaimee Motley as winemaker and additional investment has dramatically improved the quality in-bottle. Won’t someone (not me) please pay the tariff so that we can find out the truth?

Time for some Screaming Stone or Stony Eagle??

I personally am partial to Dreaming Beagle Cabernet.

Dan Kravitz

It’s a Napa address. You could argue it used to be very underpriced for a winery with that history in that valley. At least I bet that’s what the new owners are claiming.

1 Like