TN: 2012 Battenfeld-Spanier „Frauenberg" Riesling GG

I was invited to dinner yesterday and I brought some aged GGs to East Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg, as my host has only young GGs in the cellar. I also had a 2010 Wagner-Stempel „Heerkretz“ GG and 2015 Keller „Kirchspiel“ GG with me. All Rieslings were singing.

2012 Battenfeld-Spanier „Frauenberg" Riesling GG

Beautiful to drink right now and with good years ahead. I was impressed by the balance and interaction between the exotic fruit and minerality. Normally tropical fruit flavors is not my thing, but the coolness of the minerality is a good buffer here. No kitsch or opulence, instead a clear and straightforward wine with a lot of drinking pleasure and finesse. Very good length, too.

Bottom-line, I was positively surprised, as Frauenberg Großes Gewächs by Carolin&HO was not on my radar in the last years. Open a bottle now if you have one in the cellar.

93/100

48FE776B-F2CD-4F36-9014-8D87631AD4C5.jpeg

1 Like

„ Open a bottle now if you have one in the cellar.“

Wird gemacht.

Just put the 2018 on our wine list. Love this estate.

Our friend Niko gave 95/100 in April.

I will try it soon. Just looking for suitable food. What was your dinner?

By the way: Nikos rating was from April 20.

DUROC Kasslerrücken aus der Grillpfanne und im Ofen fertig gegart. Schwein passt perfekt.

Thank you for the note, Martin.

Unfortunately, Battenfeld-Spanier and Kühling-Gillot are rarely seen in this part of the world. Between the two, I’ve only had four wines (one was a 2013 B-S Frauenburg Spätlese) and they’ve all been excellent. Maybe not quite at the level of Keller, but how many are?