Albarino & Pimiento Shrimp

PXL_20210916_002803095.jpg
I’ve been slowly chewing my way through a well photographed regional Spanish cookbook (Culinaria Espagna) which was created for the German market. The book focuses on ingredients, wines, and local topics (like cork in Extredemura, or boars in Iberico etc.) as the almost afterthought recipes lean vague/nonsensical, or are full of unavailable ingredients. Eventually I was able to find a recipe where I had the ingredients on hand that could pair with a wine, although they were from slightly different regions - Galicia and the Bay of Biscay area.
PXL_20210916_004202282.jpg
2019 Granbazan ‘Etiqueta Verde’ [Rias Baixas] 13% abv, tall bottle, with a green synthetic cork. This is one of the larger widely exported producers, so is more likely to be seen by stateside consumers. On the palate the light bodied wine is zippy, bright with a taste profile that goes well with shellfish and crustaceans. Although it has seen some time on its lees, I don’t find it to be yeasty, and the pale wine holds its fruity edge, having been free from wood. The nose is tight, but perhaps more will emerge in the next day or so. It’s easy to drink more of a cold bottle of this than one planned, especially with a platter of hot shrimp. I’d give it an A- in my ledger. On the second day, the nose opened up showing white stone fruit aromas.
PXL_20210916_020201957.jpg

Nice looking meal! I do enjoy the Granbazan too although I have to cringe every time I see that damn cork [cheers.gif]

Same here.

Always a nice wine and a good value.