TN: 2019 Guilhem et Jean Hugues Goisot Saint-Bris Exogyra Virgula

A Sauvignon Blanc from Burgundy? Who knew that even existed? Lovely nose of red apple, peach and limestone. Lovely texture with a nice balance of lemony acid and sweet peach fruit. Good mineral filled finish. Light on its feet, but with enough body to merit some serious contemplation. Bonus points for anyone who could correctly pronounce this wine’s full name!

Thanks! Where can I use them? [gen_fro.gif]

And I guess Sauvignon in Burgundy should not come as a surprise to anyone who has heard of St. Bris before, since it’s the only allowed variety in the appellation!

Jud,

Thanks for this as I have a bit of 2018 and 2019. I was intrigued by the uniqueness of this wine also but hadn’t cracked a bottle yet. Appreciate the data point.

Cheers,
Doug

They also make a really fine Irancy. Sadly very hard to find.

Sauvignon Gris is also allowed in Saint Bris, like the Goisot Saint Bris Corps de Garde. It is a gorgeous and unique wine, exotically aromatic…
There are two Irancy wines he makes these days.
Disclaimer, I have imported Goisot for over a decade.

Goisot remains remarkably unknown in the US outside of true geek circles considering the quality.

Over here (Quebec), the Saint-Bris Exogyra Virgula is pretty much a staple (it’s been coming in regularly for as long as I can remember). The Aligoté and Pinot Noir have also been coming in for a while. I haven’t seen any of the other wines or cuvées though (Irancy, Côtes d’Auxerre, etc.).

these wines age quite well considering their modest pedigree. consistent, fairly priced, minimal hype; what’s not to like?

Thanks, Jud. I’ve never had a St Bris, but after reading your note, I’ll search one out. Cheers.