TN: 2017 Lingua Franca Pinot Noir Estate

• 2017 Lingua Franca Pinot Noir Estate - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (9/16/2021)
    GORGEOUS spice in this…sassafras, red licorice, bouquet of red roses…pure fresh crushed Pinot fruit…candied raspberries and cherries…silky smooth and seamless…there is a nice dryness to the sweet fruit with saline red licorice and crushed stone minerality…fantastic brightness and breadth…well integrated vanilla cola and some smoky barrel spice…finishes with a refreshing sour tart raspberry and that killer array of perfumed spice. SO good! Will be buying more of this! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I love this wine. I was impressed by the depth of the wine and how it layers fruit with that spice. Great notes.

Nice note, thanks Buzz…

That wine looks pretty dark and dense for an Oregon Pinot…

So like everything about this brand.

Ha…I came THIS close to saying in my note that this is what a Roy Piper Pinot would be like! [wow.gif] Pure and unblemished…wonderful liqueured red berried fruits that are perfectly ripe and balanced to dryness…expressive spices and florals. Although the color on your grapes look like your wine will be way darker? [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I think the hue might be a touch darker if I don’t use stems but it won’t be black or anything like that.
Sanford & Benedict is a rock pile and if you look at the grapes on that vineyard they are very dark, even more than Napa Cab. But because there is much less coloring material in Pinot it should still be translucent. The bag of destemmed S&B grapes I cold soaked for 3 days as a test were still red in color, just deeper red. I do not plan to make my Pinot like I make my Cab. My view after being in the biz for 17 vintages is that Cabernet is “sculpted” and Pinot is “chaperoned.” I think I’ve learned how to sculpt but whether I can be trusted to chaperone is yet to be determined.:sweat_smile:

visited there when we went up to Goodfellow. Bought a half case of a couple things. Doing good things.

From memory, I think it looks darker in the photo than it is. I’ll probably open a 2018 this evening.

-Al

Little more hay bale straw in this one…just gorgeous!

Bought a mixed case and enjoyed both red and white.

Sounds awesome! What are the tariffs on these wines these days? I know that they seemed quite ‘premium’ last time I looked . . .

And as far as pinot color goes, what to all of you does the color imply? Just really curious to hear . . .

Cheers!

Pretty much the going rate in OR these days at $35-40

Well…the bottle I had is $50 at the winery, and WS looks like $48-52. Single v’s get up there close to $100. I’m getting it at local Costco for $36, which is a steal imo.
Would love try the whites as well…and those seem as pricey.

Yeah that looks nicer. I just had the AVNI Willamette

Enjoyed a 2016 of this bottling while in Bend a few weeks ago. Blew away the Domaine Serene a friend brought.

Picked up the bottle we enjoyed at Good Droppe Wine Shop for $36. Also bought a bottle of 2011 Dusky Goose that was nice as well. Pretty cool to find wines with some age at local retail.

AVNI is the appellation blend, can find below $40. The Estate Pinot is around $50, The Plow Pinot is around $60, and Mimi’s Mind is $85 (these are round numbers).

-Al