How did this get in my cellar?

I was cooking a steak Sunday night and decided I would pull a Bordeaux from the cellar. My inventory showed a 2000 L’Evangile that I thought would be in a good place. I looked for it to no avail, however, such a disappointment. But in about the same spot, I pulled out a 2001 Chateau La Clusiere. I have no idea how that wine arrived, no purchase records, no emails etc. I’ve never before had a wine from this property.

In doing the research I found that 2001 was the last vintage of this St. Emilion property before it became part of Pavie. In any event, the wine was very enjoyable, full and lush, with very ripe and round fruit (certainly nothing that will clash with Pavie). I didn’t think it overripe, cloying or stewed in the way the worst of Pavie can be, it really was in a good place.

Probably would have enjoyed that L’Evangile as well though, wherever it went.

Any fun finds, or crushing losses, in your cellar?

Every bottle is one or the other.

:grinning:

I’m hiding stuff in nooks and crannies now so I can have some awesome finds in a decade or so.

So that’s what I’ve been doing.

I do not keep an inventory, so every now and then something fun and unexpected pops up. And often I cannot find things. That’s the bigger problem!

A few years ago I bought three bottles of Billecart-Salmon Brut Rose NV and tucked them in the cellar to have on hand. Some months later when pulling a bottle for an anniversary celebration, I discovered that one of these was not a Brut Rose NV, but a 1999 Cuvee Elizabeth Salmon! After a brief bout of leftover parochial-school-conditioned consternation about what was the “right” thing to do in the situation, we popped the bottle and enjoyed it.

[wow.gif]

Not sure how it got in tough, probably through the door like a normal person (picture is not of the actual mouse but rather for illustration purposes):
mouse.png

It came in through the bathroom window.

I’m pretty fastidious about keeping up with my inventory in CT. I’ve toyed a few times at the idea of removing some wine from the CT inventory and burying deep in offsite so I can truly forget about it.

Same, but things can get “buried” in CT too.

Found this thing hanging around. Cracked it on Tuesday. I suspect it was acquired from a distributor as a sample to taste in the olden days when I was in the business. Showed beautifully. A real treat
1A098B4C-B4DA-4ADD-B914-9BB7214FAF67.jpeg

Like others, CellarTracker is my reliable crutch when it comes to what’s in my cellar. From time to time I think a bottle that should be there isn’t, but rarely is it the other way around. Buuuuut I did discover a '74 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill a few months ago that I didn’t think I had, so that was quite the treat. I knew I bought a '75 maybe 15-20 years ago because it’s my sister’s birth year, but had forgotten that I had also bought a '74 for me (my birth year). Can’t believe what it’s worth now.