A REMINDER ON THE REAL NAMES POLICY - EVERYBODY MUST COMPLY

Each day, I (or one of the mods) have to write to one or two (or three) people who still don’t comply with the real names policy here, so I figured I might start a thread in the hopes that others who will soon/eventually be reported, and contacted, see and can take care of it ahead of time by reading this thread.

As outlined in registration, each member must have a real name in their username - either full name (easiest), which can include a special character or two (please don’t go nuts, as some have) to help with internet anonymity (though seriously, by this point, who actually believes they have any?), or one name, and an initialed name, with that initialed name spelled out in your signature.

It’s mentioned in the Rules/FAQ above each page, as this:

"Real Names:

EVERYBODY is to use a full combination of their real name, whether it exists in the username, or a combination of the username and signature, where the signature includes the initialed name which appears in the username, be that first of last. No exceptions. You can use special characters if you wish, or spaces, both of which make you ‘invisible’ to search engine indexing."

So please PM me and copy the Global Moderators group, as any of us can make the username changes for you, and if you have one name and one initial, add your initialed name into your signature, via User Control Panel (you can do this one yourself - only we can make changes to usernames, however, and happy to do it, as otherwise we read reports from angry hall monitor members on the forum)

Ok, happy Friday and all that - now go abide by the rules!!! neener

9 Likes

Thanks, Mr. “French.”

2 Likes

What’s in a name? That which we call a ßõ$ë
By any other name would smell as sweet;

What does this have to do with the search function?

1 Like

Because you wouldn’t be able to find this policy by using the search function. [stirthepothal.gif]

I have my full name in my signature and still get hassled by mods regularly

That’s not how it works, so perhaps that’s why…

From the OP (above):

As outlined in registration, each member must have a real name in their username - either full name (easiest), which can include a special character or two (please don’t go nuts, as some have) to help with internet anonymity (though seriously, by this point, who actually believes they have any?), or one name, and an initialed name, with that initialed name spelled out in your signature.

Having a pen name as a username doesn’t count, even if you have your full name in your signature. Please PM me or the mods about what you want it changed to

1 Like

Good policy Todd!

1 Like

Please add your full middle name: BrownNoser.

:joy::joy:

4 Likes

Are you sure it is not Kristofer on the birth certificate? neener

Thanks for making me spit out my coffee. Your acid wit hasn’t changed. Hope you are doing well. It has been way too long.

I’ve always wondered:
What is the rationale for this?
How can it be enforced? If I register as “Joe Smith,” how can mods or anyone tell if that is or isn’t my real name?

Most (not all) people are less of assholes when not hiding behind anonymity.

1 Like

Questions are raised when email addresses don’t align with names, mods reach out, etc

1 Like

My initial application for berserkerhood was rejected due to presenting an obviously fraudulent identity

1 Like

You couldn’t convince Todd that Phil McCracken was your real name?

Nope - gave my real name

1 Like

thank you!

Now fix yours!! [wow.gif]

Who is c fu by the way? (Shows up as a moderator)