An afternoon with Russell Bevan.

Russell was gracious enough to sit with us last Thursday on what turned out to be a start of harvest day AND a Root Day.
It was a beautiful afternoon when we sat down at the lovely Chase Family Vineyard to enjoy some wine with friends. The Adversity label is showing some interesting wines.
Russell was joined by his beautiful wife, Heidi. I am thankful to Russ for taking the time on what is a hectic time of year and yes, I did offer to reschedule but he was having none of that.

Onto the wines
2019 Adversity Cellars The Papas Red Blend. I liked this one, it was big and slightly angular but such a wonderful mouthfeel that has become Russell’s trademark. Pretty black fruits with some pretty cassis. Mouth coating and long. Quite nice.
2019 Adversity Cellars Melanson Cabernet. This is more my style. More elegance. Pritchard hill fruit on this. Lovely texture and mouthfeel. Precise with some violets and creme de cassis notes. Fantastic.
2019 Adversity Sage Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon. I believe this is Kuleto vineyard, but I could be wrong. This one hits my target right in the middle. Saturated with blue/black fruits which I adore. Notes of cigar-box, exotic tea and spring flowers. Perfectly balanced, this is one NOT TO SPIT. lol
2019 Bevan Cellars Proprietary Blend Sugarloaf Mountain. These have always been one of my favorites of the lineup. This is focused and pure with such intensity and verve. Dark and ominous and mouthcoating this one will prove to be a classic Bevan wine in say, 7 years. I said 7. :slight_smile:

Had the distinct pleasure of meeting Katie Hayne Simpson who sat with us a bit to show us some of her wines, also made by Russell. She is a vivacious and lovely woman who is passionate about her family vineyard’s 159 year history
2018 Chase Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Hayne Vineyard. An interesting wine from Russell, more blue fruits and quite pretty. Great lift with tremendous elegance. The fruits are a bit cool on this. Love the length this brings. Maybe its the 1 year vintage difference but this is quite unique and satisfying, even if I would not win at ‘Guess who made this wine’
2019 Chase Cellars Zinfandel Hayne Vineyard. Zinfandel. Its everything I remember Zinfandel to be times 2. A bit exotic and dense, this gets floral on the nose and spicy on the palate very quick. Long and pure. Interesting even if I am not so much a Zin guy.
2019 Chase Cellars Bourn Gold Strike Blend Syrah, Merlot and Zinfandel. No shortage of interesting wines this afternoon, this one drinks like a Pinot Noir with its clear Strawberries and red profile. Notes of Apricot shoot out with a swirly-whirl. I don’t know how I feel about this but I am so grateful to try this.
Thank you to Katie, Russell and Heidi for a wonderful afternoon, one we will not soon forget.
PXL_20210909_205318613.MP.jpg
PXL_20210909_203831400.MP.jpg
PXL_20210909_203957213.jpg
PXL_20210909_212844698.jpg
DO01010121.JPG
PXL_20210909_211646821.MP.jpg
PXL_20210909_212748689.jpg
PXL_20210909_214051666.jpg

3 Likes

Looks like it was an awesome experience and thanks for sharing!

Hey Mike - you are correct, Sage Ridge was purchased from Foley Family (who purchased Kuleto Estate) and wholly re-envisioned and re-planted by Judy Jordan and her team. We are sourcing a couple small lots of fruit from there this year for a new program. Foley still owns a portion of Kuleto estate where the house and grotto are and Pat still lives in the original house. Its an incredible property…wish I could have been invited to some of the grotto parties up there back in the day.

cameron

1 Like

opened a 2019 Adversity Cellars Melanson Cabernet last week after 4-5 hour decant and followed over 1-2 hours (understanding this was probably way too early)

incredibly approachable for 2019 mountain fruit - wonderful aromas and remarkably smooth, not the wall of tannins one would expect, pure mountain fruit, great texture, mouth feel and finish, only lacking in the depth/layers anticipated with additional aging, but the skill of the winemaker is evident here

will greatly benefit from a few years in the cellar, if opening early would recommend 8 hour minimum decant

I too was surprised about approachability on this. My samples were pop-n-pour

I was able to try these the other day and overall agree with your sentiments. The Erba and Erba Syrah were also very good and interesting. The Pappas will be great in a few years I believe.

This was a wonderful experience.
Love the offerings by Chase. I’m a 6 bottle member and i’ve enjoyed the Hayne Cab, Gold strike, Bourn Luck and Sarah’s petit blend.

Lovely description of a no doubt special day. I have only ever experienced Russell and Heidi through their media. Your notes have encouraged me to check out the Adversity wines. Thanks.

My wife and I were lucky enough to taste with Heidi and Russell. Do not miss Adversity Cellars. You can open them now or in several years as they are designed that way.