Visiting Abreu

Hi. Was wondering if any members here visited for a tasting and how was your experience?

Went yesterday. Brad does all the tastings himself and is hilarious — he pulls zero punches and will give you his honest opinion on the Napa valley wine scene. Absolute opposite of glamorous tasting room with dedicated pour program experience… just Brad pulling some sauv blanc out of a tank for me and saying “don’t know what we’re doing with this yet” then “well… what else can i pour for you - something old or recent?” Ended up drinking some 08 Thorevilos together and shooting the shit for about 90 mins then him saying “well I should probably do some work.”

2 Likes

Same! And LPs on his turntable!

Abreu is one of if not my favorite wine (just wanted to be upfront with my response).

It is one of the best experiences we have had in Napa- it never disappoints- Brad himself is extraordinary as a talent but also as a person. There is no place I would rather be when in Napa and always so appreciative of his time and passion. Savor the opportunity if ever given the chance.

1 Like

Been there once, although hung with him for only a few minutes. He has turned his part of Cliff Lede into a brilliant Man Cave. Brilliant wines. I hear he loves to cook but have not experienced that yet.

So, for a 90 minute visit, you got some unfinished Sauvignon Blanc, one other wine, and a vaudeville act and walked away happy?

An alternate explanation would be that during the busiest time of year, one of the most talented winemakers in Napa shared an unreleased wine, a 13 year old library wine (which prob goes for $300-400+) and gave me 90 minutes of his time during which he was funny, insightful and uniquely honest/transparent… and charged nothing for it.

So yeah … happy.

5 Likes

I was just pulling your chain. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Far and away the best lunch in Napa.

Abreu?

Patrick- could not agree more. One of the coolest was a lunch in Las Posadas drinking the first Las Posadas ever made next to the current release. Everything was simply incredible and an experience I will never forget.

How does one get a tasting there? I’ve never even tried it.

didn’t realize they did lunches

Nick- I would assume being a member (buyer) as they are not open to the public but I can’t confirm that just an assumption.

Kinda what I thought. Was hoping someone had a silver bullet. Maybe they’ll let me in since I have so many bottles of wine.

Was there about 3 weeks ago with Brad, stunning time as always! Their whites though…oh yes. Barrel sampled whites from all 3 vineyards and the '14 and '15 Las Posadas Red.

1 Like

I hope I can try the whites as well in October!

They are very good, happy I got to sample them! Fun to see that lower block at Las Posadas get planted and finally able to sample the wine, always amazing.