Birthday wines: Taittinger, Conseillante

Birthdays these days seem to require more than one day. In any event, I gives me more time to open good wines.

• 2006 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (9/19/2021)
    Fairly consistent with my last note. White orchard fruit, dough, light citrus and almonds, with a fine line of acid. Possibly a little richer than previously, but still medium-bodied and lacy. Still quite delicious.
  • 1989 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (9/17/2021)
    Just beautiful. Powerful aromas of violets, fruit and tobacco. Juicy black current and black raspberries, with flitting notions of candied fruit, supported by cool mint and fresh tobacco. Fabulous mouthfeel: plush with a fine line of acid, somehow both exuberant and properly dry, with velvety tannins. Hard to believe this is 30+ years old. It was an interesting contrast of rich, vibrant flavors with a fairly mature texture.

Posted from CellarTracker

Both were excellent, but the 1989 La Conseillante was just a little more special, a great bottle of wine.

3 Likes

I appreciate your notes. I recently opened an ‘89 Conseillante too. It was quite special

1 Like

You celebrated well.

The 1989 La Conseillante is special.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve had the 1989 three times recently. One had a flawed cork (loose seal) and the wine was sour. The other two bottles, including the one I had this weekend, were great. I wish I could get more, but I’ve been priced out in this market.

Happy birthday

2 Likes