Myriad's new 2021 vineyards

According to Instagram, Myriad is adding Lewelling, Weitz and Beckstoffer To Kalon cabernets for 2021. I can’t be sure of much in this world, but I strongly believe this is news that doesn’t suck. Congrats, Mike and Leah!
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

3 Likes

Who needs Carter anyway?

These are great, but I already have a hard enough time choosing which Myriad wines to buy.

I got the sense it was a messy divorce when I tasted at Carter a few weeks ago but they were tight lipped. This would explain a lot!

2 Likes

These are some heavy hitters. Can’t wait!

I saw the IG post just before I logged on here. Looks like my future wine budget just got blown.

Sounds awesome!

So what is the story? Did Mike leave Carter or something?

I hope they enjoy paying $20-30K+/ton for Cab! [swoon.gif]

1 Like

The article contains lots of interesting tidbits, including a minimum allowed price of $125 per bottle, and the fact that the cost seems to increase with the price (instead of price increasing because cost increases). But, I’m interested in an approximate cost per bottle ignoring those details.

If I were to spend $20,000 on a ton of grapes, approximately how many bottles could I fill? I’m sure the answer depends on how much juice you try to extract; I’m just looking for an approximate answer.

The same amount you would fill if you were to spent $3,000.00/ton [wink.gif] About 2 barrels plus some topping wine.
2 barrels = 50 cases
50 cases = 600 bottles
$20,000/600 = $33-$34 per bottle fruit cost

3 Likes

Great news. Happy for Mike & Leah and the whole Myriad team.

Which makes my guess as to the Rarefied Air bottling even more … interesting.

Thanks! This is precisely the calculation that I wanted to perform.

plus considering the bleed can certainly alter this ± 10%ish depending on the winemaker.
one of the highlights (or lowlights depending on your perspective) of being a harvest intern a few years back was getting to dump to kalon juice down the drain.

1 Like

So Mike is not making Carter Wine anymore?

Thanks, Steve. I knew that there could be some variation, but I probably wouldn’t have guessed a range as wide as +/- 10%.

Not quite 100% confirmed, but it’s known that Russell Bevan is now making wines at Carter.

It’s 100% confirmed. Mike and Envy have parted ways.

1 Like

Wow, that is a ton of information here. [wow.gif]

I really need to get up to Napa and do a tasting with Leah to try more of their wines.

1 Like