TN: 2019 K Vintners Viognier Art Den Hoed Vineyard

In the spirit of posting more about WA wines, this was a dandy last night.

• 2019 K Vintners Viognier Art Den Hoed Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (9/20/2021)
    I snagged this bottle on a whim at Costco for under $20 (I don’t recall the exact price) and, after drinking it, I’ll head back to see if they have any more. I love the Viognier variety, so this isn’t a TN where I usually don’t like a wine but am posting because this is the first version I like. No, it’s more a case of it being good enough to warrant mention. Very light, clear color. Bright aromas of under-ripe peach, white pepper and lemon verbena. On the palate, its relatively light weight belies is concentration: lots of stone fruit and ripe citrus. Great acidity and length for a Viognier. Really good stuff. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I was curious enough post-consumption to look up if any pros had tasted it and, if so, what they thought. It turns out that Stephen Tanzer did, and liked it:

“Bright straw-yellow. Tangy scents of yellow peach, spices and spring flowers, accented by pungent chalky minerality. Juicy and intense but quite laid-back and dry, with stone fruit and underripe pineapple flavors currently dominating. Showing the fruity side of the variety in the early going but has good mineral support as well. This midweight Viognier possesses good energy and finishes with subtle savory persistence. Incidentally, this is the only white wine made under the various Charles Smith labels that does not go through malolactic fermentation, and that may explain why my bottle did not expand with extended aeration. On the other hand, I suspect it will retain its shape and freshness longer than most American Viogniers. The 2018 a year ago may have had a bit more going on, but I’d certainly give this youthfully tight 2019 until next summer to show what it’s got. I very rarely score a New World Viognier with a plus sign, which indicates my expectation that a wine will merit a higher score by the time it reaches its peak. A terrific Viognier value. (vinified in 50% concrete and 50% neutral puncheons).” [90 points]

The vineyard is apparently in the Rattlesnake Hills AVA in the Yakima Valley.

1 Like

Hey Brandon, just picked up one of these from Costco on your reco. There’s 2 cellartracker notes that mention ‘oak’ did you get any oak notes?

Picked up some 2014 in a closeout bin for $8 a bottle including tax. To bad that operation sold to a terrible wine franchise in the twin cities!

Yup there is noticeable oak in there but it’s not as overbearing as the previous vintage IMO. Much more balanced.

And I just today came across the 2020 vintage. Even better with less oak prominence. Case worthy purchase. Great expression of WA Vio.

Interesting to find a noticeable oak note when it’s 50% concrete, 50% neutral. Maybe getting the lees exposure vs. oak?

My Costco has also had this here and there and agree it’s a very good wine wine. Tastes very high class. The K wines are all very good, it seems.

Yes and no. Their K Cabs are not good along with their Merlots. Stick to Rhone wines.

I’ve found oak notes in supposedly “neutral” barrels, and I think it all depends on the definition of the winery as to what is considered “neutral.” Steve Edmunds said once that he didn’t consider a barrel truly neutral unless it had 5 uses or more. Some wineries use that term when it’s only been used twice.

CJ, I didn’t much/any oak but I am oak tolerant, at least more so than some. I really loved it and will look for the 2020 as mentioned upthread.

Don’t fully agree with this, always like Bx from Klein and Cab from Powerline.

Same here, Kris. I can’t think of many wines in that entire massive K Vintners and associated brands that I don’t like.

The obnoxious, “House of Smith” brand, however? I can’t stand it.

The 2016 Milbrandt Wahluke slope Syrah showed up today.

House of Smith is Charles’ moniker for his portfolio…and likely a dig at Ste. Michelle, all the Charles Smith wines are Constellation, which is what I assume you mean.

I know it’s the moniker for his portfolio. Perhaps, “brand” was the wrong word. I just personally find his ego sometimes comes through in his marketing and, “House of Smith” just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Charles circa 2017+ is a much different guy than Charles circa 2005.

Businessman vs. Animal? [snort.gif]

Straight from Brennon, all barrels are 5+ years old.