Which producers release well aged wines?

Hello everyone, I’m wondering which producers you are all familiar with that releases very well-aged wines. I’m not talking about the occasional library release, I’m talking about current releases. I know of Robert Ampeau in Burgundy, whose wines are typically released with 20+ yrs of age. Etienne Defaix in Chablis who I believe just released his 2006 1er crus. LdH of of course ages their Gran Reservas for 20 yrs. Chateau Beaux Hauts is a quirky hard to find producer that releases sparkling wines with lots of age; there is very little about them online, in fact, googling their name brings up my CellarTracker review as the 4th hit!

There is a California producer (Sonoma maybe?) who was mentioned on this board recently, but I can’t for the life of me remember it and I couldn’t find it using the Search function.

What other producers are out there that do this? Seems a great way to get aged wines that are ready to drink and of good provenance.

Thanks!

1 Like

Kalin

1 Like

California: Kalin
Spain: Lopez de Heredia
France: Moulin Touchais

Just to start…

Ampeau and Defaix in Burgundy—those you knew
Maison Leroy in Burgundy but $$$
Camille-Giroud and Remoissenet in Burgundy

Depends on what you consider well aged

There’s several producers that releases wines ranging in age post vintage

There’s a few Berserker members who age their wine some before release. To highlight a few:

-Tercero. Larry makes some awesome Rhone varieties and only releases his wines when he feels they are ready to drink

-Ladd Cellars. Eric makes some solid Pinot and most of his current releases have a few years to them.

-EMH. Merril releases her Cabs with a few years of age to them.

To name a more off few off the top of my head, there’s also:
-Teaderman
-JB Becker
-Quintarelli
-Emidio Pepe
-Kalin
-Remoissenet
-Several champagne producers
-Several BDX chateaux with library releases

1 Like

Nikolaihof ‘Vinothek’ Wachau Riesling, released about 16-20 years after vintage.

I’ll throw my hat in the ring - many if my upcoming releases are my 2014s . . .

Cheers.

4 Likes

San Fereolo 1593 is a lovely sui generis dolcetto from Dogliani. Latest release is 2009 but there is still 2006 sitting on shelves if you look around.

Calabretta from Etna hold back their releases - current vintage is 2011, I believe.

1 Like

Nicoletta’s Dolcetos are awesome, also love her Dogliani Superiori. Super old vines, IIRC the ‘youngest’ vines she works with are from the 1980s.

Ch. Gilette in Sauternes generally releases their wines at 20-25 years.

Giacomo Borgogno used to release Barolo with several decades of age. Some had been topped up and recorked. I’m not sure if they’re still doing that since the winery was sold in 2008.

Many German producers have large back lists, but you rarely see those brought into the US.

Caves Sao Joao in Beiras, Portugal, releases a reserva with a lot of age. The most recent vintage in the US seems to be the 2000. These are inexpensive ($22 for the 2000) but pleasant wines with real aged characteristics.

Lopez de Heredia

One that has not been mentioned is Beta - their current release is 2016. So not aged as much as some of the others, but still a few years out.

Château Bel Air-Marquis d’Aligre is the super old-school Bordeaux producer who is discussed fairly often (and very fondly) around here, and I think their most recent release is 2010.

Arcadian was a winery which would release wines 8+ years after vintage date, but they’ve gone quiet the last year or two and I don’t know what’s up there.

They closed unfortunately. There was a thread on it a while back. Some inventory still floating around retail though

Chateau Massereau - small, low intervention/organic bordeaux producer. Unpretentious and delicious. Current release of the cuvee K is 2009

Too many Champagnes to list but Lanson and Ployez both have some 20 year old releases.

1 Like

Jerome Lenoir’s cabernet franc in Chinon.

Possibly academic, but:

Ch. Des Tours and Rayas
Vega Sicilia
Ch. Latour

Rolly Gassmann

Musar