TN: Two Calif Blaufrankischs...(short/boring)

Tried these two over the last two days:

1. WindGap Blaufrankisch RitchieCreekVnyd/SpringMtnDist/NapaVlly (12 3/4’th%; 1 brl/23 cs; #289) PaxMahle/Forestville 2013: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; very strong black cherry/BF quite floral/lilacs/hollyhocks/violets bit licorice/chocolaty light toasty/oak/smokey bit earthy/loamy/dusty quite complex very aromatic/perfumed nose; fairly tart/tangy very strong floral/BF/lilacs/violets/pungent/hollyhocks slight peppery/whole-cluster slight metallic/mineral bit eartht/dusty/loamy light toasty/oak fairly rich/lush/tangy some complex beautiful flavor w/ light tangy/brisk tannins; very long/lingering some earthy/loamy/bit rustic very strong floral/BF/lilacs/violets quite tangy/tart light toasty/oak some complex finish w/ light brisk/tangy tannins; speaks strongly of BF verietal character but only slight resemblance to Burgenland BF; has really developed nicely & should go another 3-6 yrs.

1. Solminer Blaufrankisch DeLandaVnyd/LosOlivosDist (U/U; 7 brls; 10.8%; www.Solminer.com) 2018: Med.color w/ slight bricking; rather earthy/loamy/dusty fairly floral/BF/lilacs/violets very perfumed/aromatic quite attractive nose; very tart/tangy/acidic/screechy rather eviscerated/lean/austere some classic BF/floral/lilacs fairly earthy/loamy flavor w/ light screechy tannins; med. very acid/screechy/tart light floral/BF/lilacs/violets rather earthy/loamy finish w/ light very bitey tannins; has some quite lovely BF aromatics in the nose but very screechy/acidic on the palate & quite hurtey to drink; a lean/eviscerated/screechy wine that badly needs more ripeness; don’t see this every developing into something interesting because of the screaming acidity.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. BlauFrankisch is one of my favorite varieties and generally love those from the Burgenland. They tend to be fairly rich/round & display a lot of earthy/loamy character. This WindGap was a lovely Calif rendition of the grape. The Solminer…not very much…just hurt to drink it.
    Tom

Well here’s to you Tom for finding US Blaufrankisch but there is so much good stuff from Germany and Austria at a reasonable price, I would just drink those.

12 3/4’th%

[scratch.gif]

Speaking of New World Blaufränkisch (let’s not forget the umlaut!), I had one from Weis Vineyards in the Finger Lakes last week that was very good. The proprietor is from Zell in the Mosel:
https://www.weisvineyards.com/product/blaufr-nkisch

Can’t say I’ve ever had an Austrian Blaufränkisch that I love, but I’m open to being educated.

Tom,

Thanks for sharing! Now I’m on the lookout for some old bottles of Wind Gap.

Have you tried Moric Blaufrankisch. Their base bottling I’ve enjoyed over several vintages - though I did try 1 recently for 2018 that didn’t really speak to me. But 2014, 2016 and 2017 were all really solid and ~30/bottle retail in NYC. He has a Reserve label as well as some SVD from some old vines but those start to creep up in price and also availability here stateside,