A personal FedEx record

I know there have been many posts about this, but I had never personally experienced this kind of delay until now. I have ordered from California retailers and had wine shipped by FedEx Ground many, many times and it has always made it to Ohio in 3-4 days. This time, 8 days.
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 09.52.13.jpg
I meant to have the wine shipped yesterday as the heat wave has finally broken in Ohio, but that didn’t happen. I especially appreciate that they sent it via Arizona and New Mexico. The only consolation is that it is cheap wine and pretty tough. Considering that it already has traveled from Spain to southern California, it is probably battle tested . The corks look fine. I’ll wait a few days to see what I have.

I think 6 days is my record for Cali to Ohio for FedEx Ground

I had a 5 day Napa to Bay Area. Nice work Fedex

I think the shipping companies continue to be overwhelmed. I see some shipments go smoothly while strange things like this happen with others. It’s unpredictable.

Oh yeah I had one last year that stopped in every state across the southwest. Every day it moved like 100 miles. Took almost 3 weeks for a 5 day trip.

After getting a tour of the local fedex ground distribution center I will never again ship anything of significant value or importance via fedex ground.

The entire back parking lot was just littered with boxes resembling a giant junkyard. The warehouse was overflowing so they left the big, heavy, or awkward boxes outside in the 105 degree sun and the drivers would just take the more “convenient” packages.

This is likely a push to sell 2-day air shipping for 2x-3x the cost of ground. That’s what I get for paying $40 to ship a case of wine instead of $100. Actually
the merchant offered a couple of options that were more than the cost of the wine.

Whatever happened to "The World on Time"®?

Oh yeah, they stopped using that YEARS ago.

I just can’t even…FedEx and UPS are the absolute WORST!!! [swearing.gif] [head-bang.gif] Too bad Amazon Prime isn’t an option for winery DTC shipments, lol!

how crazy is it that vlc player is still around and rocking it.

Haha that desktop was giving me anxiety

Totally agree and would do the same except for my overdeveloped Value bone. So, when it comes to wine, if shipping from the West coast to the East coast, I’ll have them ship in November or late March. The odds that temperatures will be a problem, even out in the afternoon sun or before sunrise are very low. It’s sometimes dicey when they take the Arizona route, but usually ok.

That stretch from Barstow all the way thru Oklahoma is brutally hot. Northern AZ might’ve actually been the coolest segment.

same. so much going on there.

Yeah, I want the US Postal Service handling my wine shipments. newhere

Just got my Fed Ex shipment after missing first delivery attempt. I guess miricles can happen!

My Eyrie wine was shipped on Sept 15th. Still not here. Tracking # says will be delivered on Sept 28th. WTF [swearing.gif]

I guess I need new strategy. I always asked that wine from California be shipped on Monday so it would reach me by Thursday or Friday, but now I have another delayed shipment. It will take at least 7 days, Maybe it will break my previous record. Notsure when I should schedule my next delivery. If I assume it will take a week, maybe I should ask for shipment on a Wednesday.

This week I got a case that was shipped Monday and delivered Wednesday, which is what FedEx Ground service always used to be for Bay Area - Seattle. On the other hand, I have a shipment from LA that has been sitting at the local depot for a week. I called FedEx and they told me that it is sitting in a tractor trailer that is ‘waiting its turn to be unloaded’. Good thing temps up here are already cool.

Clearly FedEx Ground is a total crapshoot at this point.

I’m seeing an atypically large number of delays and misrouting in the last few weeks with FedEx. Not as much with UPS, although they are the smaller fraction of our shipments. Saw just this week USPS wants to remove the restriction on wine shipping. Good luck with that.