TN: 1997 Chateau Montelena Estate / 2018 Cedric Bouchard Val Vilaine

• 1997 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/22/2021)
    Celebrating our 24th anniv on 9-20-21…a wine I bought futures on when I knew this would be our wedding year wine. All bottles have been pretty much perfect! Glad I decanted at home before dinner, as I had a fight with the cork…it shredded into pieces as it was glued to the neck of the sediment caked bottle…should have used the Durand! Decanted, and brought to the restaurant…the wine was in amazing shape! So dark and youthful…silky smooth seamlessness…loaded with rich and pure dark berry fruits…SO integrated and extracted like an oozing chocolate brownie! Has wonderful dusty graphite dryness of tannins…plenty of structure for a long long life…amazing complexities of mint tobacco, herbs, walnut, rich mineral soil, leather, cigar box…went perfectly with an italian herb chimichurri grilled ribeye! Glad to see this wine still going strong as ever after 24yrs…just like us! Of course…always 97pts. (97 pts.)
  • 2018 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine - France, Champagne (9/22/2021)
    In need of some air upon opening…the bubbles come shooting out…can’t contain all that energy! Still spot on from my last note…as the pop rock explosion of bubbles calms, you get an amazingly primal and youthful, raw state Champagne…bursting with citrus energy, yet creamy and sensual in texture. The fruit…candied pineapple, red delicious, dried apple rings…is bright and full flavored…pillow soft ginger mousse caresses the citrus pucker…nuanced yeasty brioche, crushed limestone chalk…just a super balanced mouthful of goodness! LOVE these wines! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Brian,

Congrats on your 24th and on some excellent wine choices! I actually have some of the 97 Montelena so appreciate the data point.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

Congrats buddy! Awesome way to celebrate!

1 Like

Congrats!

I have loved your notes for years. Always seems you are smiling when you write 'em!

E

1 Like

Congrats, Buzz.

1 Like

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife, Buzz!

Glad to hear the 1997 Montelena is still drinking well. We also bought a bunch, as it is a birth-year wine in our family. Still have a few left, and one magnum. We have opened a bunch and they have all been excellent.

1 Like