TN: 2018 Delas 'Saint Esprit' Blanc [Cotes du Rhone]

PXL_20210923_001125463.jpg
2018 Delas ‘Saint Esprit’ Blanc [Cotes du Rhone] I have not bought any Delas CdR since their 2007 rouge, and don’t recall ever trying their (lower production) blanc which only has 1500 cases made. Served chilled over a couple of days, this blanc is a solid citizen, better than other recent white Rhone blends which only had VdP / VdR designations. However I have not seen this around much, which prompted me to try it. It’s hard to tell from the producers website, but I will assume from vagueness around the vineyards, that its a negociant wine, blended from purchased grapes. (Happy to be corrected on that of course). Unlike the usual Rhone blancs I buy, its NOT a majority viognier driven wine, and has Grenache blanc, Clairette, Bourbolenc etc. It’s raised in steel, no oak, and shows pleasing melon and bitter grapefruit on the palate. For my tastes, the acid is balanced and it has nice clarity, a medium straw color on a light body. There is also salinity here, which I like and is a change of pace from buttery local Chardonnay. This blanc might not be plentiful enough for the duty, but I could envisions this being a BTG pour, as its flexible enough to be glugged, or enjoyed with food. Normally I stick to Guigal as the only blanc CdR I buy to keep at home … but this is ok too. B+ in my ledger. When I think about that other thread on the front page of WB…this is the kind of wine that I feel is way way better nowadays compared to 30 years ago. Cork is conventional but a real one - not agglomerated and of normal length - which is a pleasant surprise for a bottom shelf bottle.
PXL_20210910_022746906.jpg