1971 recommendations?

Hi everyone- Looking to track down a 1971 something for a good friend’s 50th.

From a quick look at some vintage charts, seems like Piedmont + Germany are the most obvious candidates, and there’s a lot of mid-priced '71 Barolo out there on the market, but wondering what other regions might be worth considering?

Friend in question mostly likes Rioja + Bordeaux, but those are perhaps…not the best regions for 1971?

Anything up to $350 or so is fine. Either red or white is fine. Definite preference for dry wines, unless there’s some kind of once-in-a-lifetime dessert wine option.

Any chance a '71 Huet sec would still be alive?

Thanks to everyone, sincerely, for your time + your input.

Drank about a dozen 71’s in June. The stars for me were Latour, d’yquem, suduiraut and a random fratelli barala barolo.

Most of the french reds and german whites were tired/past their drinking windows by a bunch.

Huet ‘71s are in their adolescence if the bottles were stored well and the seal good. It is the best Huet vintage of the ‘70s. And the best IMO between ‘59 and ‘89. I recommend looking for the Demi-secs though.

There have been a number of threads discussing good ‘71s.

1 Like

Great year for Piedmont, plenty around for under your price target.

1 Like

+1

Try Chambers and RareWineCo (ask for Chris John, advanced somm who is quite savvy on Piedmont)

My favorites in recents years have been 71’ F. Rinaldi Barolo and 71’ Produttori Rabaja.

I’ve done business with Mauro for years, completely reliable, and top quality wines. Shipping from Italy isn’t cheap, but his prices make it worth it imo. Good luck.

Lovely right bank Bordeaux vintage but also some delicious (Palmer) Medoc options. Petrus is a stunner although it will also stun the pocket book. Cheval Blanc and Figeac both excellent options. Sauternes can be splendid.

There are plenty of excellent red Burgundies.

I had a Freemark Abbey Cabernet Bosche last week that was into gentle decline but still very much worth drinking.

For an outlier, Penfolds Grange is amazing - as in, I had it alongside 71 Petrus and the Grange was better.

Agree on the d’Yquem, although don’t know the current pricing/availability (my half bottles were purchased back in 2015 for $220).

A half bottle would likely be fine for a decent sized group.

The bottle I had about 3 years ago was amazing. Still a relatively golden yellow and not browning and still tasted like it had many more years to go.

Plus, a bit less worry on provenance with a d’Yquem.

If you want a less expensive alternative to Yquem, I would suggest the 1971 Climens. I had it five years ago and it was excellent.

Ed

1 Like

opened a 71 Cheval Blanc and 71 Bredif Vouvray in Feb this year, both were drinking very well

in the zone, 1971 Antonio Vallana e Figlio Spanna Cantina del Camino

As Marcus said, 1971 Cheval Blanc is good.

Also some Piedmontese as you note.

1971 Vega Sicilia Unico two weeks ago. Sublime. Don’t know if you can still find any.

La Tache. perferably in 3 liter

rioja lasts forever and could probably find a bunch at and below your peak price

Giacomo Borgogno

My understanding is '71 Rioja was…not good.

Quite a bit of Borgogno out there at my price point though. Probably gonna get that + the '71 Huet.

Really good red burg vintage but hard to find. Outstanding in South Australia. Grange is magnificent. Barolo and Barbaresco are good choices.

1 Like

Mosel Auslese
20210924_133824.jpg

1 Like

I’ve had great luck with obscure German producers, mostly sweet side, from '71. Also Rieussec and Coutet are drinking great. Had a bunch recently. Some the '71 Napa cabernets are interesting as well.

Any recommendations on which bank to use for financing?